Stopping a socket switch being turned off

There was a James Thurber story related to this. Someone who thought that electricity leaked from the sockets if you didn't switch them off (even when nothing was plugged in).

Reply to
RobertL

Some people still do.

Reply to
charles

I knew someone like that. She had grown up with gas lighting, and drew too many parallels.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Why can't you just replace it with a non-switched socket?

Reply to
Jaffna Dog

perhaps it's like my daughter's church hall where the socket is below the countertop and the switch above is controlling it.

It's how we control our waste disposal unit.

Reply to
charles

There would be a slight concern if there was enough spare clip to fold down the face of the socket and go anywhere near the live pin. Not a big issue with modern shrouded plug pins, but may be on an older unshrouded one.

Reply to
John Rumm

I even had someone from an EDF call centre suggest to me that turning off unused sockets would save energy ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think "socket" was ever mentioned, just switch. I'd suggest using a grid key switch in a vulnerable location. It can't be knocked off.

Reply to
charles

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In article , Chris French writes

I like the look of them, bookmarked, thanks.

Reply to
fred

It does, even with it switched off.

Reply to
dennis

And the electricity from nuclear power stations is radioactive!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Now that is plain daft. However the electricity does leak out from everywhere unless they have unobtainium as an insulator these days.

Reply to
dennis

It was a comment I heard circulating among the locals, along with several other equally stupid and hysterical suggestions, when there were proposals to build a nuclear power station not far from where we lived. I might add that Goldsmith's 'The Ecologist'* magazine was edited and produced in another village not far away. Not that I'm suggesting any link between the two, of course!

Chris Hogg

Well, I guess so.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I guess that they really mean "live neutral pin". It seems odd that they didn't just re-manufacture it with three holes thereby blocking the access gap between the socket face plate and the plug.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Doh, just realised that depending on whether it was a right or left "handed" switch cover, the live or neutral pin could be exposed. Still, they could have easily redesigned it with three holes for the plug.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+