OT:TV Heads up

BBC4 Next Wednesday

James May "The Reassembler".

Nice photo of an exploded Suffolk Colt in the Radio Times. Reminded me of my first lawnmower (a Punch) and getting the blade re-sharpened. The guy in the shop was impressed I could remove it and refit it, he gave me a hard-to-get grassbox to replace the tied-on-with-string one I was using.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The anti-Haynes manual, I hope:

"Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly".

Yeah, right, in a perfect world. I will watch this series with interest.

Reply to
Davey

And on Tuesday IIRC 8pm on ITV

"How not to DIY" :-)

tim

Reply to
tim...

When I looked at that article in the RT earlier this week, it didn't appear to me that the assembled motor James May was working on in the small picture was of the same lawnmower shown in the large picture with all the bits. The petrol tank appears the same, but where, for example, is the red cowling beneath it? I can't see it in all the bits (the engine cover between the handles in the bits photo appears to be completely different).

BICBW...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I'm more concerned about the missing piston, conrod, cylinder, crankshaft, valves etc...

Reply to
Tim+

My listings show the program in 3 parts Monday, tuesday and Wednesday nights at 9pm. Lawnmower, telephone, electric guitar.

Geo

I knew a real Mountain Man in North Carolina, he repaired most kinds of string instruments. You had to move things like 12-string guitars and zithers off chairs to find somewhere to sit down. He also had the ability to hypnotise our dog.

It will be interesting to see how James May gets on.

Reply to
Davey

Putting pre-made stuff (of that scale) back together isn't usually that challenging. Kinda sad that it should be considered special enough to warrant a TV programme.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

BBC "Original Programming" ...

The enlightened television media students have now discovered the discipline of engineering can be publicly consumed as a television programme showing things can be interestingly studied and assembled together, rather than blown apart.

As first seen on YouTube ;-)

I'm waiting to see how they will ape the product unboxing scene.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I could say that about the vast majority of what is shown on TV.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Tim+ writes

Hmm.. I could have challenged him to reassemble the pull cord return spring on my mower this evening. Just as it was coming on to rain...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There's a You-tube file for that...

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

Does it explain why the pull cord always breaks on the first outing of the season?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's just an extension of Murphy's Law.

Meanwhile:

And talking of DIY: ww.youtube.com/watch?v=humZvaGnlsw

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

Oh. I did it last night and mowed edges of the lawn but wondered how JM would have managed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb