OT - Turnpuke with Windows 7

IT would appear that Turnpike doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit version

Does anyone know a workaround

crips with answers like use linux or another email client are welcome to save their energy and not reply

Reply to
geoff

wow... It's been a long time since I last used Turnpike! It doesn't surprise me that it won't run on 64 bit Windows. There isn't a

16 bit engine built into it. No workaround available. Change back to 32 bit Windows?

mick

Reply to
geoff

There has been a lot of discussion about this in the demon.ip.support.turnpike newsgroup. The consensus is that you either need to use some sort of virtualisation or switch to another program, Thunderbird probably.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Well I'll not suggest switching to another email client, Turnpike is the only application I really missed when I ditched Windows for FreeBSD. The only idea that comes to mind is that, if your PC has enough memory and CPU power, you could install VirtualBox on your Windows 7 system and run Turnpike on Win98 or XP inside that.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I was going to suggest almost that. If you install 'XP mode' on win 7 it basically installs an XP virtual machine without any third-party virtualisation software.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

recompile it from source?

That's how I got firefox3.5.X working on ..err..linux 64 bit ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ta - maybe I have to subscribe

Reply to
geoff

I was half expecting that

Does that mean I need a separate windows key for each OS ?

Reply to
geoff

Might be a cunning plan if the source code was readily available

however ...

Reply to
geoff

Some versions of W7 include XP mode, which includes its own XP license. For other virtualisation options you will need a key to install XP.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

In message , geoff writes

Win7 pro includes the XP mode- and that doesn't need a separate copy of XP. #Lesser' version of W7 do.

to install Win98/Win2K/XP in virtual box etc. then to be legal you need to have the rights to install the OS.

since it woz MS that broke Win7 in this respect then how much someone may feel bound by legality is another question.

AIUI Turnpike worked in the last Win7 beta, MS introduced a bug that broke Turnpike - they were made aware of this, but didn't choose to fix it before RTM

Reply to
chris French

I thought it was all open stuff..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, especially with something that XP or Vista that "phones home" to authenticate itself. But if you can lay your hands on an old Win9x CD and product key things would be a bit less restrictive.

OTOH the 'XP mode' on win 7 option mentioned elsewhere in this thread sounds like a simpler and cleaner approach.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

..actually that's probably WHY its not available. It was probably a straight rip off tin or something..

considering its history and two of the shadier characters in UK internet history.;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Home ultimate - I'll have to check, thanks

Reply to
geoff

In message , chris French writes

Yeah, it worked OK in the release candidate

I'll have to check if I have a spare win key around then ...

Reply to
geoff

Well sod Win 7 then. Turnpike even ye olde ver 5.02 is an excellent programme and a very good newsreader. Wouldn't want to change it anyway T/Bird is OK but nowhere near as good for news..

Reply to
tony sayer

9x is best left dead and buried,. If you can find one WIN 2000 Pro is very good...

Indeed...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Yeah - I've got an old 2K sitting around

Reply to
geoff