OT - Turnpuke with Windows 7

IT would appear that Turnpike doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit version
Does anyone know a workaround
crips with answers like use linux or another email client are welcome to save their energy and not reply
--
geoff

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:46:25 +0000, geoff wrote:

wow... It's been a long time since I last used Turnpike! It doesn't surprise me that it won't run on 64 bit Windows. There isn't a 16 bit engine built into it. No workaround available. Change back to 32 bit Windows?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282423
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Currently shoved onto another computer and using remote desktop
--
geoff

On 23/01/10 14:46, geoff wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion about this in the demon.ip.support.turnpike newsgroup. The consensus is that you either need to use some sort of virtualisation or switch to another program, Thunderbird probably.
--
Bernard Peek

Ta - maybe I have to subscribe
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Well I'll not suggest switching to another email client, Turnpike is the only application I really missed when I ditched Windows for FreeBSD. The only idea that comes to mind is that, if your PC has enough memory and CPU power, you could install VirtualBox on your Windows 7 system and run Turnpike on Win98 or XP inside that.
--
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote:

I was going to suggest almost that. If you install 'XP mode' on win 7 it basically installs an XP virtual machine without any third-party virtualisation software.

I was half expecting that
Does that mean I need a separate windows key for each OS ?

--
geoff

On 23/01/10 16:11, geoff wrote:

Some versions of W7 include XP mode, which includes its own XP license. For other virtualisation options you will need a key to install XP.
--
Bernard Peek

Home ultimate - I'll have to check, thanks
--
geoff

writes

Win7 pro includes the XP mode- and that doesn't need a separate copy of XP. #Lesser' version of W7 do.
to install Win98/Win2K/XP in virtual box etc. then to be legal you need to have the rights to install the OS.
since it woz MS that broke Win7 in this respect then how much someone may feel bound by legality is another question.
AIUI Turnpike worked in the last Win7 beta, MS introduced a bug that broke Turnpike - they were made aware of this, but didn't choose to fix it before RTM
--
Chris French

Yeah, it worked OK in the release candidate
I'll have to check if I have a spare win key around then ...
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Yes, especially with something that XP or Vista that "phones home" to authenticate itself. But if you can lay your hands on an old Win9x CD and product key things would be a bit less restrictive.
OTOH the 'XP mode' on win 7 option mentioned elsewhere in this thread sounds like a simpler and cleaner approach.
--
Mike Clarke

9x is best left dead and buried,. If you can find one WIN 2000 Pro is very good...

Indeed...
--
Tony Sayer

Yeah - I've got an old 2K sitting around

--
geoff

scribeth thus

Why bother with Win 7 then;?...

--
Tony Sayer

Because I've paid good money for it, and expect it to work with my new toy
--
geoff

scribeth thus

Not unreasonable.. What will WIN 7 do for you that the other ones didn't?..

--
Tony Sayer

Err ...
look shiny ?
but you're right 2k and XP do everything I really need
--
geoff

scribeth thus

Yes thats why we haven't invested in 7 ...
Playing around with Linux mint at the moment to replace that Vister cack that came with the laptop .. looks promising;)..
--
Tony Sayer