OT: tower block fire causes for Dave.

An example of what people are like as you appear not to believe me..

Who do you suppose dumps stuff in communal areas on the 22nd floor if not the tenants?

Reply to
dennis

As a contractor I used to visit many HMO and find communal areas, escape routes and final exit doors blocked. When I mentioned this to the landlords they would just shrug and tell me that the shit belongs to the tenants, not to him. Rent out to low life and just that.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

As a contractor I too used to visit many social housing blocks. It was normal to find sacks of rubbish on the walkways. Presumably it was too much trouble to carry it to the rubbish chute. Large items of furniture were also commonly found in the walkways. This was better though than the tenants hurling them from the balcony, which they sometimes did with little regard for the safety of passers-by. Stories you might have heard about vomit and excrement in lifts were probably true. I saw and smelled plenty.

There are two contrasting explanations for this sort of behaviour.

  1. These people have very low standards due to poor intelligence, education, and training. In other words, they don't know any better.
  2. If you provide a shitty built environment people will make it more shitty.

In my opinion both explanations are valid. When an estate or block is drastically refurbished most tenants will mend their ways, but a minority will carry on as before.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I used to inspect posh HMOs with deep pile carpets and they wanted you to take of your shoes ... I refused ...elfin safety and all that .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

simple rules of life....if you don't own it ypu don't look after it .....what do YOU do when you hire or use a company car? .....correct

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I've filmed in a few places where they remove shoes indoors for religious reasons. I got the impression those on the crew who objected to doing so had likely smelly feet. ;-)

But when actually filming the carpets would be protected by dust sheets etc. Which seemed to satisfy both sides.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well I had got stabbed by a needle in a junky house so the steel soled shoes were staying on .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'd be rather surprised if those who wanted you to remove shoes for religious reasons would have junkies in the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In sweden it seems to be standard practice to take your shoes off in the hallway and not wear shoes in the house.

Reply to
whisky-dave

never said anything about religious reasons they had just fitted a new white carpet .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

A new 'white' carpet sounds religious to me KKK perhapos ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Wouldn't that make it difficult to see the needles?

And is it your experience that junkies often spend money on a new posh carpet?

Or are you just talking your usual bollocks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most would to that with wellies, etc. And it makes sense not to spread anything you've stepped in outdoors over the floors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well this is the sort of thing best avoided when visiting houses .....

Jim GM4DHJ ...

There are quite a few posters here that are like politicians.. completely removed from what really happens in the UK. Most people live in their own little world and seldom stray from it so they have no idea what other worlds exist, maybe a few hundred yards away. Its like harry who only mixes with other right wing supporters so he thinks everyone is a right wing supporter. Others just wont believe that people will dump flammable materials in fire escapes no matter what evidence you have. They need a job that takes them out into the world so they can learn about it.

Reply to
dennis

There are even people so clueless that they don't think anyone would ever rent a house with a nice carpet and let their drug addict son visit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that is why the toetectors stayed ON .......regardless

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Ah - right. It's a rented house now with that nice new carpet. But thought in your little world all tenants destroyed everything? Or did you make that up too?

Can just see mum while the son shoots up in front of her. 'Just drop the needle on the carpet, dear. The lady what does will clear it up later.'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or deliver leaflets in different areas. Then you get to see how people live.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is it really worth paying to have UKIP leaflets printed these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)