OT - Tone generator and dog/cat whistle on mobile phone?

We have a deaf cat who apparently can still hear some high tones.

So I was wondering if a dog whistle might aid communication.

Then I wondered if there was a dog whistle app for a mobile phone.

There do seem to be tone generator apps; has anyone tried one of these?

Those of a certain advanced age and degraded TV watching habits may perhaps remember Bruce Forsyth and The Generation Game and "HERE KITTY KITTY".

Technology moves on (I hope).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Yes, problem is the frequency response of the phone's speaker. They are not usually that great :(

Reply to
Lee

You would probably want something with a piezoelectric transducer to be effective, I don't think phone speakers fall into that category. Ancient ultrasonic TV remotes used to annoy dogs. You can get inexpensive mosquito repellers eg. Ebay 282108117914, it claims to work on mice.

I am surprised if high & ultrasonic frequency weren't the first to be affected in canine deafness.

Reply to
Graham.

depending what it is, they aren't that bad up high. A conventional speaker for example radiates from the voice coil, not the cone, at very high frequencies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They go above adult upper hearing frequencies quite deliberately, so that kids can setup ringtones which adults can't hear.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought that was an urban myth? The speaker/sounder on my current phone cuts out at 12kHz, obviously other phones may do more.

Yes I can still hear to 18Khz.

Reply to
Lee

I should qualify that, I can hear 18Khz, but at a much reduced volume. Realistically I would say my hearing starts to tail off around 14Khz, which isn't bad for my age :)

Reply to
Lee

No filter ever made 'cuts out' at a give frequency. IT just attenuates, so you can still produce sound beyond that, just not very well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes Mr Pedantic, you know exactly what I meant :)

Reply to
Lee

Well 'know', I didn't. You implied that beyond the 'cutoff' no sound at all would be produced, and therefore applications that tried were doomed to failure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the term 'cut off' in this instance is a descriptive term to mean a level of -3db which is half the volume.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Bit of an urban myth that one. Hearing doesn't cut off dead at a certain frequency as you get older. The sensitivity of the ear to those upper frequencies lessens. And upper frequencies are more easily attenuated by an obstruction - like being in a pocket.

Basically, it might work with your grandparents - but a bit risky with your parents.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

doesn't work if your grandparents are 6ft under either :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave