What is the real LED energy efficiency?

Neither, at current concentrations, is CO2 really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Desirable houses were selling for 20% *over* the asking price until recently. If someone wants to buy your house (because of its type and /or location), then it doesn't matter what condition it is in or what you have done to it.

Reply to
Andrew

Nope. Made to to measure with frames that had a similar profile to the Boulton and Paul timber windows. All uPVC windowes and doors are now made by only a handful of companies (despite what the Anglian saleman might tell you). All their windows will be C-rated as an absolute minimum which is all building regs require for replacements. They all use the same materials. There is no such thing as 'low spec' uPVC, again contrary to the BS that a D/G salesman will tell you.

They will have a range of frame depths and styles, and you just choose the ones you want. Local authorities seem to prefer the bulkier frames but that is because they are stronger.

The builders merchant in the village is an agent for one of these companies. You just give them the measurements and the style, choose the type of glass (C-rated double glazed, A+ triple glazed, obscured, laminated, tinted, toughened or whatever, plus a myriad of options) and then a few days later it arrives.

Anyone who pays more than about £650 for a typical C-rated window of

6 foot wide by 4 foot deep, with standard glass, not part of any structural element like a bay window, supplied *and* fitted is a mug.
Reply to
Andrew

Your point being? I?m simply pointing out that argon makes up nearly 1% of air, CO2 is 0.04%.

Sucking CO2 out of the air in any great quantities is hard.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Excuse me? Not for plants it isn't! --

"The Communists are further reproached with desiring to abolish countries and nationality."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nice little read for you.

Chris Bacon

Plants do it all the time...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <sl15ui$1g8a$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 15:24:17 on Sat, 23 Oct

2021, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybt>> In message <sku4ff$9tu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 11:40:46 on Fri, 22 Oct

It does to many lenders' solicitors (irrespective of the price).

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message <sl16sm$1tlo$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 15:40:22 on Sat, 23 Oct

2021, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybt>> In message <skukbm$1ssq$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 16:11:50 on Fri, 22 Oct

There is. Cosmetically. A quite wide range of styles are available.

In my experience they prefer the skinnier ones, because they look more like the wood which would have been fitted when the house was built.

The last ones I ordered took about five months, but that did include the first lockdown.

The £4,250 mentioned above was for a whole house, wasn't it? And plenty of houses do have bay windows.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I had 31 windows (two and three bay) and two French window and 4 oak exterior doors made for me. Total cost was around £24,000. Oak frames, leaded lights.

Fitting was probably two man weeks - say 20 days at £200 a day - £4000

Going to nasty plastic windows would have knocked off a few thousand, but reduced the house value by £100,000

Wood frames double glazed non oak or even oak were scarcely any cheaper.

And even without DG the windows met building regulations and the whole house was judged to be inside thermal loss specs.

Unless you have walls made of glass, DG wont net you much thermal gain.

It's just easy to install and generally reduces draughts. So worth doing if you have to replace rotten or ill fitting windows.

What struck me at the time of building my house, was how little extra quality components cost, but how much labour 'doing tricky stuff' cost.

I've got dormers under sloping eaves. And a hipped roof,. Making the dormers and hips and plastering all the angles was damned expensive compared to a straight gable ended box.

The rule of thumb is that labour is 2/3rds of a building cost. Skimping on materials doesnt save much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It isn't the solicitor who is desperate to buy that house (at any price) before someone else does. If I was a seller of a property and the buyers solicitor started arsing about with nitpicking questions, and there was a queue of other buyers, then the current offer would be dumped and the next person in line would get the chance to buy.

Reply to
Andrew

Nonsense. LA's hands are tied by thermal and safety regulations and other nonsense.

The last thing they care about is appearance and there are plenty of examples of uPVC windows fitted to social housing near me. Some of the properties also had additional internal insulation fitted which reduced the cross-sectional area of the internal window reveal, so a bulkier uPVC frame was necessary.

If you want a replacement window to look like the timber original then you fit a timber replacement window. No-one expects a uPVC window to be an exact match for a timber window.

Reply to
Andrew

When the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures were on TV a few years ago, a group of attending schoolkids were asked to name the most abundant gas in the earth's atmosphere. Most said carbon dioxide.

Reply to
Reentrant

How is Boris to achieve his "Net Zero" when there are 66 million of us breathing out CO2 every minute of every day of every month of every year?

Reply to
gareth evans

True, but getting them with the Ovolo profile helps quite a lot, especially from the inside.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, he's got rid of 140,000 with covid, and with a few more thousand probably going this winter with flu and fuel-bill-related hypothermia, anyone left should be feeling rather vulnerable but very convivial.

Owain

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

But there you are, it is. Amazing what a relatively tiny amount of something can do, really. Mischief pretty much.

Reply to
RJH

They are either being incinerated or will decompose, releasing all that CO2 much quicker than if they were left to breathe.

Surely the solution is clear. Ship all those stiffs off to Drax B to be made into electricity.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

"It is significant that so much carbon dioxide stays in the atmosphere because CO2 is the most important gas for controlling Earth?s temperature. Carbon dioxide, methane, and halocarbons are greenhouse gases that absorb a wide range of energy?including infrared energy (heat) emitted by the Earth?and then re-emit it"

So, why has NASA missed out the atmospheric constituent that has the greatest effect on the Earth's climate?

Reply to
Spike

Perhaps making them into Soylent Green might be more useful...

Reply to
Spike