OT: Thunderbird 52.9.0 leaves tabs open

I've noticed that Thunderbird now opens a new tab every time I use the down arrow to read the next message in a thread.

I haven't changed anything, and despite having set up updates to be under my control I think a new version of thunderbird was installed without my agreement, somehow.

Anyone know how to avoid all these tabs being left behind ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In Fact it seems to randomly open messages in a new tab that I haven't even looked at, in threads that I am not looking at !!!. WTF ?.

Reply to
Andrew

have you tried starting it in safe mode? (select "Help -> Restart with add-ons disabled")

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll try that but it's wierd.

The first tab is Adams thread about 'Delivery reports on text messages', which I definately haven't looked at. Many others too. Almost as if Tbird is opening the first message of unread threads into a tab of their own.

Reply to
Andrew

Safe mode makes no difference. A couple of messages from the Hi-Fi thread have popped into tabs even though I never looked at them.

Reply to
Andrew

If I look at a thread, and either click on a message, and then use down arrow to look at the next one, or many,and *then* use the scroll wheel to move down the list of unread messages, the one I stop on then gets opened in its own tab.

This is definately recent bahaviour, I never noticed it before.

Thunderbird 52.9.0 32bit Win 7

Reply to
Andrew

I can't reproduce that... Standard mouse driver? or has that updated recently?

Does your middle button also "click", and if so is that set to double click, that would open a new message window?

52.9.0 32bit Win 8.1
Reply to
John Rumm

I took it apart and cleaned out a whole load of fluff and crap (Dell wired usb mouse) that was obstructing the optical encoder wheel connected to the wheel. That's it. It's as if using the wheel now is now also seen by windows as an additional command of some sort.

Reply to
Andrew

Well it seems as if it is a Windows feature that I never noticed before. Now I see what it does, just click a link with the mouse wheel and not the left button and the bookmark or url opens in a new tab rather than replace the existing tab contents.

My cleaning has made the wheel click much easier, it was almost jammed with crap before, so I never noticed this 'feature'.

Reply to
Andrew

You can set the middle click to do a variety of things... I normally leave it at "double click"[1], although some apps like Sketchup will override that to allow click and hold to be used for "Orbit".

(quite handy for closing tabs in a browser - where a double click on a tab will close it)

Reply to
John Rumm