OT: Thunderbird 3.1

I'm currently using Thunderbird 3.0.11 - just for Usenet - not emails (for which I use Outlook).

It's currently offering to upgrade me to v3.1.10 but, having been caught with the upgrade of Firefox from v3.6 to v4 - which totally screwed up my browsing experience until I had worked out how to make v4 look like v3.6 - it's a case of "once bitten, twice shy" as far as Mozilla is concerned!

Have any of you upgraded TB to v3.1 and, if so, are there any gottyas?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not sure I noticed any difference when mine got upgraded.

Reply to
Clive George

I find 4 is noticeably faster though, and the tab management stuff is worth having.

Yup, and not that I recall.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm not sure this is relevant, but one of the earlier upgrades bugged me until I added the CompactHeader extension.

Other than that, v3.1 seems OK - definitely not the nuisance that the Firebird upgrade was.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

3.1.x is barely distinguishable from 3.0.x, nothing like the Firefox 3.x to 4.x jump
Reply to
Andy Burns

Ta! I'll let it do it then, next time it offers.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh, and to head you off at the pass, Firefox 5.0 seems to be indistinguishable (from a user point of view) from 4.0, all the brave new pdf reader and inbuilt social networking clients got canned (or delayed until 6.0) ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And the next version of TB will also be 5 - they are skipping 4 to bring the numbers into line!

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTR that both Firefox 5 and Thunderbird 5 are expected to be released at the end of June this year, or shortly after.

Reply to
Dave N

TB3.1 here, no problem either. FF4, OTOH, keeps hanging when it's left running flash and such.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The problem (reproducible on a number of machines, all running XP and checking news.indivdual.net) is that it will show the header but not the body of the first post in a new thread. All subsequent posts show correctly, except for the apparently random ones that have the same problem. I'm now back on 2.0.24 until I find out what's going on.

FF4 works better for me than 3.6.xx did.

Reply to
John Williamson

I get that problem on Windows and Linux, but it's not as predictable (for me) as you suggest, occasionally if I click on a message before it's finished downloading headers, it fails to retrieve the body. In TB3.0 it mean that message was toast and could never be retrieved, at least in TB3.1 if the message is/might be important enough, you can exit TB, restart and it will then retrieve it. It only seems to affect one group per news server, I have three active news servers, unfortunately this group seems to be the one it picks on for this server.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No problems with Tbird 3.1.10 here running on Windows 7 64 bit.

FF 4.0.1 also OK

Did have to uninstall IE9 because it was causing MS Outlook to repeatedly crash and restart even though Firefox is my default browser and I use IE about once a month.

Reply to
Invisible Man