OT: The Commodore 64 is back

In old clothes ...
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
Almost makes me want to do the same with my BBC Micro. Where is me Angle Grinder :-)
--
Adrian C

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:57:39 +0000

Excellent.

I'm lost. It's a modern PC running an emulator. I'm sitting at a modern PC, and I could be running an emulator. So, what are you getting excited about?
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:57:57 -0000

It's an Atom/ION in a nice retro package. Have you no sense of style?
:-)
On 14/01/2011 15:48, Rob Morley wrote:

Too fast.. :-)
Actually at the moment, I'm sitting on a stack of HP thin client PC's frigging around with the linux internals on ideas of repurposing these for other uses, major one is a squeezebox touch compatible thingy using the GPL Squeezeplay source.
The 200Mhz Geode based things have only 32MB of ram, 16MB of flash - and yup, that's fast enough for a BBC emulator - and the board is so small it will fit inside a BBC Micro case with space to spare! Hmm, that could be another project....
--
Adrian C

I like the way the background image shows through the sliding window.
Will it need one million POKEs to put a few pixels on the screen?
This is a pisstake IMO. The images are so obviously Photoshopped.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

They're CGI, not 'shopped, I think.
Oh, ****. I was all sympathetic to the C64 product until I saw what they've done with the Amiga name. Pretty (ugly) cased HTPCs. "Includes... handling gloves".
    Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Dawn is a beautiful way to end an evening. It's a lousy way
to start a day." - Dominic Flandry
On 14/01/2011 17:55, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

Yup I had high expectations for what their A3000 may have been - rather a disappointment!
--
Cheers,

John.

Spookily I just started reading this page out to my OH to find him laughing as he's already there. He didn't see the url here!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Adrian C wrote:

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bbcitxb /
JGH
On 14/01/2011 17:49, jgharston wrote:

Yeah, something like that.
:-)
--
Adrian C

In article < snipped-for-privacy@fm22g2000vbb.googlegrou
Silly I know, but I like that he wired the cassette motor LED to the hard disc activity LED pins.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:57:39 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

As a product, it's vapourware, I believe - nobody has one, and you can't buy one. The one on the website is a 3D model, so it's not even clear that a single physical machine exists. In the meantime, it's a picture on a website of something that exists inside someone's head...
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:38:24 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

There are some prototype pics...
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Prototype.aspx
--
Cheers

JW

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:04:40 +0000, JW wrote:

Hmm, I sit corrected, or something :-)
cheers
Jules
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:42:30 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

Well, not totally corrected. As there have been squillions of prototype computers that never actually got into production. In the olden days ago, though, they seemed really exciting. As a Dragon 32 owner in the early 80s, I found the discovery of things like the Dragon Beta really exciting just four years ago.
http://dragondata.worldofdragon.org/hardware/Beta/Drag%20Beta.htm#itroars
--
Cheers

JW (yep - geek!)

As another Dragon owner, that *is* cool.
Thanks
--
Alex

On 15/01/2011 08:24, Dr Zoidberg wrote:

As a third Dragon owner (that must be all of us!) it _was_ cool. Nicest 8-bit CPU I ever saw. But the world has moved on...
Andy
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:44:03 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

;-) I think there were a few more. There's a Dragon User Yahoo group. Still interesting to reminisce. But yes, the world moves on. I keep twitching over my ebuyer basket, which has a Core i7 2600K processor with associated mobo and memory sitting in it. Do I need it? No - not really. Do I want it? Erm...yep! :-)
You're right about the 6809 though - it had definite SEX appeal. Last of the Motorola processors to do so, apparently!
--
Cheers

JW

Well I have an iMac C2D 2.66, an Acer 1810tz 11.6" 1.2ghz SU4100 notebook and an Asus EEEPC 1001p and I just assembled a new PC with an i5-2500k @ 4.6ghz (Akasa Venom CPU Cooler) 8GB Ram Asus P8P67 Motherboard ASUS 6850 1GB Graphics 1TB Western Digital HD and an Antec Basiq 550W PSU and Coolermaster Gladiator 600 case.
Did I really need it - no! but its the fastest PC I have ever owned and one of the fastest PCs in the world.