OT The 1970s

To the ultimate in fascism: apartheid S Africa.

It was - interesting and a wee bit dangerous. Being caught between two sides you didn't have a lot of time for..

But as my aussie friend said 'at least you will get meat three times a day' and fundamentally yes, I wasn't hungry and broke any more.

I came back cured of a social guilt after three years and set about becoming a millionaire.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't think of two less attractive concepts. Azerbaijan. Eurovision Song Contest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would hope that most people have more interesting lives than for that to be the high point.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Absolutely, far too much effort required. The ratio of energy in to enjoyment out is pretty lousy. But then, i'm a pensioner and fresh out of brown paper bags ;) Where TF is my raspberry. Rodders will know :D

Reply to
brass monkey

There is a woman involved.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Also, who can honestly say that the first time was the best sex they ever had?

Get some more. There is evidence it helps reduce the risk of prostate cancer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you think that, then you clearly know nothing about the seventies - or many other decades for that matter. But if you guide your view of the seventies from newspapers or Thatcher's lies then that is understandable

- to both of them the 'truth' was something they only had a fleeting relationship with.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Crikey. You've got good staying powers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember in the 70's that a man could have a job and buy a decent house with a large garden.

I remember the State was not interefering with personal life even 1/10 of what it is today.

I remember school (primary) and what we were being taught was actually less/worse than my kids are being taught today - and I still think state schools are weak - so heaven knows how bad they were then!

As usuall, it is swings and roundabouts...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was the decade of becoming an adult. A driving licence, no money worrys, legally allowed in pubs, no kids. I loved it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That is very true - I bought this house while on a distinctly average salary from the BBC, in '74. A few doors down - near identical house - is on the market at 1.1 million. How much would you have to earn to buy that as a first time buyer with a 10% deposit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that wa teh late 60;'s

By the 70s all I had were money worries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I could npt afford to buy a house till 1993.

The difference then, as now, was that you were a public sector employee.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you should have learned how to work harder. Or how to spend what you earned wisely.

Last time I was a 'public sector' employee was 1976. So less than a third of my working life spent as such.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I spent my 70's weekend evenings with my brother sat in my Dad's Capri/Cortina (whatever new car he had bought that year) in the pub car park whilst he was in the pub getting pissed. Every hour he gave us crisps and pop.

At some point Ford altered the wiring on the cars so that the cassette player (we had The Wombles, Blondie and Boney M cassettes) only worked with ignition on and we had to be left with the car keys. And yes we did crash the car. I cannot remember if that was also the same night we burnt loads of holes into the vinyl seats with the cars cig lighter.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

10% of 1,100,000 =3D 110,000. Leaves =A3990,000 to pay back over 25 year= s =A339,600/year just for the capital and nothing for anything else. So to allow for eating and bills a gross salary of at least =A360k+.

What's that got to do with it? Income is income no matter the "sector" you are in. A BBC salary at that time was "average". I started in late 1978 on =A32,500/annum gross.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lots of work then? Were you in some sort of engineering?

What social guilt?

Did you succeed?!

Reply to
David Paste

Had a friend who worked out there for a couple of years as a project manager for an oil company, probably 10-15 years ago. He couldn't wait to get back. I can't remember the specific reasons now, but he did have a gun pointed at him a few times.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think she was emailing me too...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I bought my first house (1986), max mortgage was up to 3 x salary, and ideally a 20% deposit (you could drop to 10% if you paid a one-off extra insurance premium against repossession with a drop in house price).

I wasn't following the market, but I think at the peak (just before the crash), you could go up to around 6 x salary, and 100% mortgage (but possibly not both together). So you would probably need to be on £170,000.

No idea what the current rules are, but I'm pretty sure you'd need to be on a lot more than that nowadays for the same price house.

Of course, if you did buy at the peak, the house would now be worth somewhat less than your mortgage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel