OT - TF card vs microSD card?

I've just seen details of a device which uses a TF card.

Hadn't heard of this before so I tried to look it up but the information seems to be a bit garbled and different depending on where you look.

I THINK that a TF card is a subset of a microSD card. That is, it has the same basic functionality but doesn't come with a write protect tab or extra data channels for use e.g. as a bluetooth adapter.

However it might just be an early name for a microSD card.

Or not.

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

same as far as I can see...chinky stuff all mentions tf cars insread of micro sd

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

They're the same. Vendors have to pay to use the SD card trademarks, so cheapskate (mostly Chinese) vendors instead say they have a TF slot.

TransFlash was an early name for the cards before the SD Card Association got involved, and presumably the trademark protection on that isn't as strong as the SD trademarks.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Don't think a micros SD has a write protect tab either (unless you put it into a MicroSD to SD card adapter.

I get the impression that its basically an old name for what we now call a microSD - that went out of use when the SD consortium bought the technology, but it has gained some use again (possibly due to licensing issues with the SD consortium).

There is a somewhat garbled article here:

John Rumm

my player says "TF CARD" in a chinese voice ....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

indeed

Reply to