OT - Tempur Matress

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Probably not. But you don't really need to buy a mattress. Buy what is called a "topper". You can get them in single size, double size, king size, etc... The memory foam that is used only needs to be 2 to 3 inches thick to be effective. I bought mine from QVC (or was it Ideal World). The one I have is "structured". Raised squares of various sizes are used, which cater for the different parts of the body. I'm well pleased with mine.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Purely hearsay, but someone once told me that they are wonderful to start with, but the beneficial effect wears off (shortly after the money-back guarantee!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

My missus is a lot happier since we got one ! (we used to have a fairly high-end regular mattress before).

They have a little bit of a smell when you first open them, but it clears within about 48 hours.

I`d be tempted *not* to go for the mattress topper for the full effect !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Dunno! But; I bought pillows off the Tempura stand at the Grand Design Show recently. My wife and I selected different sized pillows - we were seperately 'measured' and tried out various ones. Mine is the 'Large male's pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't be without my Tempura pillow. ....

The mattress is a considerable cost .... perhaps next year?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I looked hard at them but I can't understand how you can turn over easily if your body makes its own depression. I have enough of a problem turning over anyway - and need to turn during the night.

We paid a lot of money (£700 is a lot to us) for a latex/coir/latex sandwich mattress and apart from being very warm (no hot water bottles needed on the coldest nights) it's immensely comfortable.

I was delighted that it came with a beautiful, closely woven, stout, zip-off linen cover so that the cover can be washed.

It's far better than the once comfortable spring interior mattress we had before. I expect it will see us out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My £800 latex mattress has been an excellent investment, even at that price. Even people who normally sleep badly comment afterwards on how well they've slept.

Tempur or other visco-elastic foams I'm not convinced by - I've not slept on it, but I've experience of it as seat cushions.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in news:mdTsg.46556$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

I bought one with my new charpoi. Not a tempura, but a similar thing.

It's an interesting experience. like lying down on a board.

However, after the apparent initial discomfort, it seems fine.

I am most impressed by the _lack_ of experience; you don't notice anything except a good nights sleep.

Same with the pillow, after the initial ear-flattenig impact, it's fine

mike

Reply to
mike

It doesn't half get warm though, as you say!

Jo

Reply to
Jo

Having recently bought one, my answer would have to be "No". It seems you pay an awful large premium for the Tempur name.

Having said that, my back problems are certainly easing as time passes, but expect this benefit would have been the same for any of the cheaper memory foam mattresses.

As Mary says, turning and moving around the bed is a sight to see - think beached walrus - but mine is the thickest available mattress -

25cms and I am on the heavy side so I do sink a long way into it.

However, I used to be a hell of a fidget in bed, but now I'm hardly aware of moving at all. I guess I only need to turn once or twice a night, the mattress is so much more comfortable. Heat isn't a problem for me.

I suspect that a topper would be unlikely to give such pronounced benefits unless your existing bed is of exceptional quality.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Geoff Beale

We bought a cheap Chinese copy (still expensive though). I like it, my wife hates it. She liked it in the shop, and for the first night, but found it too soft and not easy to turn over. She's a wriggler, and I'm am 'out-for-the-count'er - this might be important.

It's been relegated to the guest suite. Sometimes I steal a good night on it...

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Isn't tempura the Japanese version? ;-)

The tempur ones are quite dense and You do tend to get "stuck" in them until you get used to them. I ended up being "cheap" and bought a "truesleeper" kingsize topper from thane for about =A3140. I used to rush home to lie on it. It's not as dense as the tempur so is a bit more inbetween regular foam and memory foam. Yes, in a way the effect has worn off but I think that's just because I've gotten used to it. Because most of your body is in contact with the bed they can get uncomfortably warm. ...or snug depending on your preference.

I have/had a back problem and in short - some of the best money I've ever spent.

Reply to
adder1969

And?

When I considered getting our latex mattress Spouse was horrified at the price. I pointed out that if we both die two years after getting it we'll have had a good night's sleep for only a pound a night. that convinced him. Cheaper than a tot of whisky.

Since my amibition is to live for four years so that I can eat my own asparagus it will be even cheaper.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

I'm going to market a tofu mattress, for people who get snackish in bed.

Reply to
Guy King

Why not just market a giant circular bed which can do double duty as a wok?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I bought a Topper from these guys who make the foam.

Just a bed size sheet 50mm thick. No branding IIRC about £45 for a king size. Baz

Reply to
Baz

Reply to
svmsbb

Here's my 2pth - with a shortish story to go with it.

Four years ago I bought a new house in Scotland with a reasonable amount of land. the land needed a *lot* of work doing to it, so I set about the required tasks with gusto. Having spend the previous 20 odd years 'flying a desk', I overdid it (and was obviously way too unfit to have considered doing it according to my GP). Somehow I seriously damaged a sacro-iliac joint, and was in unbearable pain when lying down for many months. Painkillers, Physio and just about everything the NHS had to offer barring surgery had no effect.

(2 years later)

After 2 years without a single full nights sleep, I decided to see what happened with one of these visco-elastic mattresses. I didn't think that the name 'Tempur' was worth an extra £1000, so I bought a generic one off the 'net for around £650.

After TWO WEEKS on this mattress, I was sleeping through the night, and haven't had a back problem since.

I wouldn't trade it back for anything. When we're away from home for even a few nights, and have to sleep on 'normal' spung mattresses, I can still feel the old pains coming back, but nothing like before. The matress really did chage my life.

And no, I'm not affiliated to any manufacturer, and can't even remember which website I bought my original one from - but when we bought a new flat earlier this year, and needed a new bed for it - we made damn sure that it came with a similar mattress.

Hope you find your new matress as equally life-enhancing!

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Have a look at ebay item 220003777194 - it's a german company, they have lots of them listed. About =A3200 delivered for a king size. There's a thread on usenet somewhere from a uk guy who bought one, said it was great. Tempur may well be better, but maybe they just have an expensive trademark.

Reply to
aboleth