OT: Sugar

It may be genetic. Or it may be that your idea of overindulgence is someone else's normal.

Reply to
John Williamson

Correct. Without salt it tastes like garbage.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Urban myth.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are already all dead - if you read the propaganda.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

By that logic, smokers should get preferential treatment.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

During which heart disease increased dramatically.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

*standing ovation*
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think for certain conditions they do. Lung cancer is virtually unheard of in non-smokers.

Reply to
Fredxxx

About ten years ago I started cutting down on salt and sugar. Since then I've put on about two stone in weight.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

you've obviously been increasing your fat intake.

Reply to
charles

so are all fizzy soft drinks (except orange flavour)

tim

Reply to
tim......

In message , Jim Hawkins writes

Very true. Back in ht 80's I was involved in some work around the subject of medical research and the focus then was moving away from cancers and focussing on the effects of sugar. Medical research can take a long time to percolate through the system.

One danger of sugar is the potently addictive effect of combining it with alcohol in the form of alco-pops and similar. It is no coincidence IMO that following the introduction of these seemingly innocuous drinks we now have a binge drinking problem. The drinks industry new exactly what they were doing.

Reply to
bert

Ands when they retire smokers get higher annuity rates - because their life expectancy is less

Reply to
bert

Google is your friend - do a bit of research and you'll find it isn't. The only bit that is myth is the misconception that various zones of the tongue handle various tastes.

Reply to
Bob Henson

So can ill-founded tripe.

Utter nonsense, the sugar adds nothing to the addictiveness, and alcohol is only addictive to a very few people.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Not true. In 50 years in pharmacy, I have only personally known two lung cancer patients, and neither had ever smoked in their lives.

I'm not saying that smokers don't get lung cancer - they do - but the opposite is not true at all.

Reply to
Bob Henson

On Friday 10 January 2014 16:03 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Maybe - I'd just rather not eat wholly engineered molecules with any regularity...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Diabetes and obesity are currently said to cost the health services more than 5billion annually. The total is expected to rise tenfold in the next few decades, What do you think the government should do, if anything, to help reverse the trend ? Would you like to see the government stop spending our money on such things ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Binge drinking has been going on for centuries. What is more recent is pubs that need at 500 people a day through their door to make them pay and then put a dozen or so of these pubs in the same area of a town.

The typical alcoholic drinks at home and consumes a bottle of wine each day before going to pick up the kids on the school run.

Reply to
alan