OT: Sugar

charles

In article , Jim K -show quotedtext -that's another one on the "no, no" list ;-) -show quotedtext -

Twas typed tongue in cheek...:-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The problem is that virtually any substance is poisonous if you ingest enough of it. I remmeber some toxicity rating that lists everything. The most poisonous and most expensive being botox at $1 billion a KG and people volenteer to have it injected into them and pay for it :-0

I'll stick to sugar and whisky although not mixed and I'd never add an "E" to my whisky. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not that there's actually any evidence of any of that.

Reply to
Huge

Complete garbage.

Reply to
Huge

Eat a chilli then tell me that tastes of nothing :-)

(fat itself tastes of nothing. However there's lots of tasty things which are carried in fat.)

Reply to
Clive George

chillis don't taste of anything - they just burn.

Reply to
charles

No thanks. That will f*ck up my digestion.

It is certainly the case that chicken breast (no fat), f'rinstance, generally has no more taste than a ball of string. Chicken legs etc, however (some fat, dunno (or care) how much), have taste.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Salt just makes food taste different. Have a diet with a lot of salt and non-salty foods taste very strange. Have a diet with a limited amount of salt and a lot of processed foods will taste overly salty.

Reply to
alan

Jesus, the idiot count is well up today. Wonder if it's got anything to do with the CME?

Reply to
Huge

Were did you get that nonsense from? There are five tastes detectable by the tongue:-

Sweet - usually indicates energy rich nutrients Umami - the taste of amino acids (e.g. meat broth or aged cheese) Salty - allows modulating diet for electrolyte balance Sour - typically the taste of acids Bitter - allows sensing of diverse natural toxins

Any other flavours are detected by the nose.

Reply to
Bob Henson

You can probably already find an expert opinion that shows whatever you like about nutrition. My meaning was that the red top newspapers will have grabbed hold of a different opinion and will be highlighting that.

Very, very rarely do we need government intervention in new areas. It will be driven by what is likely to win votes and that, in turn, tends to be driven by what the red tops are plugging this week. Secondary smoking is an excellent example of that; the 'science' behind it is decidedly dubious. The ban on handguns is another example of needless legislation driven by media frenzy.

People can already read what the products they buy contain. What more do you expect the government to do? Reintroduce wartime rationing?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have always had an excess of sugar. 3 heaped teaspoons in tea/coffee etc ever since I was about 5 yrs old. I am a chocoholic and a gannet for anything sweet. I was told I would get diabetes and all sorts of nasty things. Strange that a lot of people that I know who are frugal with their sugar intake have got diabetes and I haven't. I am fitter than most folk of my age and my weight is only about half a stone heavier than when I was 15. I am 65 now.

Reply to
Bod

Horrid when the fizz went out of it.

Reply to
harryagain

Drip teacakes. Brown sauce sarnie. Good healthy stuff.

Reply to
harryagain

Anecdote != Data.

Reply to
Huge

Like the minimum price for alcohol. That soon disappeared.

Reply to
harryagain

Anecdote #2 :-) My wife is nearly as bad with sugar (2 heaped spoons) and yet despite half her family having diabetes, she has not...............yet.

Reply to
Bod

I'm afraid the plural of anecdote still isn't data.

Reply to
Huge

Well it is, kind of, but statistics of 2 is hardly any better than statistics of 1.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My point being; that if excessive sugar is so deadly, how come us two have no derogatory affects from a lifetime of over indulgence of the stuff?

Reply to
Bod