OT: Speeding up MPEG

Does anyone know of any software (preferably freeware or shareware) that I can use to edit an MPEG video to give a speeded up comedy effect?

I want to burn the fast play video onto DVD, not just play it back faster on screen (which I can already do with the software that came with the camcorder).

Andrew

Reply to
google

I use VirtualDub (opensource/free) to process my .AVIs into MPEGs. It seems pretty good.

I note that on the Video frame rate control it has a "Frame rate conversion" section with settings like "Process every other frame (decimate by 2)" and "Decimate by N" where you enter N. I suspect that would do what you want.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I have .MOD files from a JVC HDD camcorder which are, apparently, MPEG-2. VirtualDub can only read MPEG-1 and cannot write any MPEG format.

I tried an MPEG converter but it cannot read the .mod file. Windows Media Player is happy with it.

Also, from the Virtual;Dub help statement that frame rate decimation does not affect A/V synch, I'm pretty sure that it can only change the frame rate and not the actual playback speed.

Andrew

Reply to
google

Super

anything to anything else

and is free

Reply to
geoff

Try renaming .mod to .mpg - works on the .rec files produced by toppy.

Failing that, Super, as per Geoff's suggestion.

Reply to
John Rumm

Unfortunately not. If I select MPEG-II as the input then the only output option is MPEG-II

Andrew

Reply to
google

And it makes a mess of anything I've played in it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , snipped-for-privacy@sheerstock.fsnet.co.uk writes

Well, I don't have it on this machine so I can't check, but I think you must be doing something wrong

Reply to
geoff