OT: Something odd about that queue?

Gentlemen,

Anyone who's been unfortunate enough to visit London nowadays will be familiar with the general composition of it. All very multicultural and whatnot. You cannot possibly fail to bump into a black person on the street, in the shops, just about everywhere. But the one place at present you will be lucky to find one is in 'that' queue. Looking at the generality of all the slack-jawed gawkers filing respectfully past the coffin, you will be lucky to see a black person at all. There are far more Chinese paying their respects than there are blacks (or even Asians) despite the BBC's best attempts to pick the odd one or two out for their coverage. What did the Queen ever do against black people to warrant this indifference FFS?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Maybe the queue is representative of the country, rather than the capital?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A quick peek at the people filing past the coffin just now and, of about

20 or so people in shot, there were two with black faces, in different parts of the queue. Given that about 9% of the population are black, and people have travelled from all over the country to view the coffin, that would appear to be a representative proportion.

What I find surprising about the people filing past is how tattily dressed so many of them are.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Must be something wrong with your figures cos there are a lot less Chinese people in Britain than there are black and yet a lot more Chinese than black people filing past the coffin.

Reply to
Dan Green

Not in the clip I watched.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Her ancestors f***ed over their countries.

Reply to
zall

That was my suspicion. The Royals have consistently refused to broach the thorny subject of reparations. All those fancy palaces had to be funded somehow. But what's the betting if compensation does ever have to be paid, somehow or another it won't be the Royals whose pockets it comes out of.....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But only the most stupid would want to do that and allegedly more of the blacks are more stupid than the chinese...

Yeah, those buggers should be wearing evening dress, and not just their PJs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Black clothing would show respect.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Why should there be compensation? The actions were in line with the morals of the time and no-one alive today was alive during the "worst" actions.

Should we be looking to Italy for the actions of the Romans, Norway for the actions of the Vikings or Ireland for their raiding of England long ago?

Reply to
SteveW

But how many actually have any black clothes anymore.

And isn't that was those silly black arm bands were about ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Because they f***ed over their country, particularly places like Kenya, Malaya, India, Burma, China etc.

But still, they got rich from the actions of their ancestors, particularly when India got comprehensively f***ed over.

Yep, those bloody dagos should be paying reparations, like the krauts have done for the halocuast. Those unspeakable Normans in spades.

Reply to
zall

Although if facing a day or more of waiting while out in the elements, I can sympathise with dressing more for survival than appearance. :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It is a very useful colour t have in your wardrobe, even if you are not planning on attending a funeral, but any dark colour would be better than a bright colour. A friend went to her gym on the day after The Queen died and everybody managed to turn up in black.

Turning up to the viewing dressed as The Tardis is completely inappropriate in my view.

IME Not that easy to come by, unless buying in bulk.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I realise that, but I have dark clothes that would be suitable for doing that. According to reports, one person turned up dressed as The Tardis.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

We had a neigbour, back in the day, who went into 12 months mourning for the death of the King (Late queen's Father)

Also not just black armbands but a black diamond patch sewed to the top of a sleeve

Reply to
fred

Nonsense. We introduced them to civilisation and Jesus.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Occams razor applies.

What demographic of people, has a lot of time on their hands ?

Those are the people standing in the line.

If I needed extras for a movie, the same people would show up.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's not compensation - hence the word: 'reparation'. It's to atone for past wrongs. Britain became a relatively prosperous nation with all that goes with it largely off the back of exploiting other countries. Of course all that was pretty much squandered with Thatcher and now Brexit, but at some point the people of the UK should try to put it right.

If there is a reasonably clear line of accumulated wealth gained as a result of past aggression, yes.

Reply to
RJH

Very few agree with you about that.

Or that.

Clearly nothing like that is happening with those looking at the coffin and I bet it won't happen with those in the street watching the funeral either.

Clearly most feel otherwise.

But some presumably flog them individually if there is enough demand for them.

Reply to
Rod Speed