OT: Something for Christmas at Harrods

Because those are the sort of things people would have about and have used as extention leads.

I used 4 core screened cable to connect speakers in my bathroom to the lounge hifi via the loft. Now I just leave my ipad on the bog seat.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You don't need screened cable to connect speakers to an amp. Indeed most screened cable is designed for low level signals - not high current speaker feeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a 5m USB cable somewhere, which is about the limit without amplification.

At one time all mains radios had "extension loudspeaker" sockets, so people could listen to the radio in the kitchen or bedroom on a little speaker with a volume control on the front. (They were mostly low impedance; sometimes high, so you would need a speaker with a transformer - would probably give you a shock if you touched the wires).

Reply to
Max Demian

So what do you drive them with?

Reply to
mechanic

Anything you want. At the moment, one is patched to the output of the main system. Others, radio tuners.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which family of tuners in particular offer balanced output? Most domestic audio stuff uses unbalanced input/outputs, does yours have two connections balanced around ground/earth for each input/output?

Reply to
mechanic

You can add a balanced output stage easily enough. Or use an external unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that the modern way to check for piles ?

Reply to
Andrew

Isn't that what phone cable is for ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

when you're throwing out a few 100 metres of 4-core and screen at work that was used for a RS232 link between a metheus computer and a HP plotter between labs used in the mid 1980s that they don't have the space to keep then you take it home and make use of it rather than throw it out. Cheaper than going to Maplin, and you feel you're doing the enviroment a favour. Also when you have a 100+ 25 way D connectors you use those to connect it up.

I still have a real of 6 core+earth 60 odd metres thatr's been sitting on a shelf and moveed multiple times in the last 20+ years. we have 100 metre reel of telephone cabel too, I doubt we'll ever use for new telephone conections, and extentions between labs. All college phones are now VoIP and must be installed and maintained by an outside company.

I think the correct term is no longer I'm re-using old crap, we now say I'm up-cycling.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Obviously you've not heard about the latest security feature called rectal scaning ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oh indeed. Price is far more important than performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes price zero, not too sure how bad the performance was, but I doubt the speakers cost more £10 in the 1970s, no woofer or tweety just one speaker per plastic box. Then again I tried to get the acoustics in my bathroom to match the sydney opera house. But I've never tried farting in the sydney opera house as a test signal. Maybe there is a use for wodeny afterall

Reply to
whisky-dave

1mm2 cu is 44milliohms per metre per pair. If your multicore were 0.25mm2 that'd be 176mohm/m for 1 pair If it's 4 pair & you connect the 4 in parallell, back to 44mohm/m. So a 10m run would be 0.44 ohms. With an 8ohm domestic speaker that's not going to cause a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I know, it never caused me a problem. I used the B output as there were 2 stereo outputs and I could switch to just have the bathroom on or just the frontroom or both on.

Reply to
whisky-dave