OT: Some Things Never Change

"The conflicting interests were incapable of consolidation and neither the Beveridge Committee nor any other could find a solution to the various problems which were raised. The Main criticism of the B.B.C. has been its monopoly ; the autocracy with which it governs broadcasting, and indeed, in some respects, endeavours to govern the private lives of its staff ; the poorness of some of its programmes ; its failure to develop television on a scale comparable with its importance, and its tendency to regard itself as an Empire which rules by some sort of divine right. Even the presentation of its accounts, which has come in for a great deal of criticism, would not be permitted an ordinary company under the Companies Acts in so vague a form."

The Beveridge Report on Broadcasting, 1951

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, yes, The Sad Cafe, by the Eagles. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The current system of funding the BBC needs bringing to an end without delay. If someone were to suggest such a scheme now it would be dismissed without a second thought yet it has been allowed to continue based on arguments which haven't been valid for decades, if they were even valid then.

Boris' 'fudge' of decrimilising the non-payment of the licence fee doesn't go remotely far enough, the only acceptable answer is total abolition.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The BBC spends as much time on advertising its own programmes as ITV do on paying adverts. It has become very intrusive, I say let them fund from commercial adverts and scrap the licence. Then make it a proper limited company, with shareholders to keep them on their toes!

Reply to
Broadback

I agree, but decriminalisation is a welcome first step which can't come soon enough.

Good idea; just limited each individual shareholding so only private investors can own the equity. Don't want those big institutions getting involved in a business like this.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Another quote from the Report reads:

"...and the B.B.C. Charter in its 'suggested revised form' should be reviewed every five years. We think that period too long. It should be no longer than every three years."

I wonder whatever happened to that entirely reasonable suggestion?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom