OT: Some hope yet for the human race!

Perhaps we won't all die out after all.
https://tinyurl.com/yxtwzh8y
On 15/06/2019 16:07, Al wrote:

Two women abused on a bus and suddenly it's a national epidemic.
--
Max Demian

Everything revolves around the angle of the news. I now never watch news unless its something very important.
Brian
--
----- --
On 16/06/2019 07:54, Brian Gaff wrote:

I tend to watch/listen to the first minute of headlines and then decide that no news is being reported today. Similarly if the main items are Brexit or the Tory leadership contest then the rest of the news is not worth watching.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 16/06/2019 07:32, alan_m wrote:

A day or two ago I was listening to the 8am news on R4. With the Middle East in flames (or at least, a couple of tankers), Brexit, and the Conservative leadership contest, one of the important news items reported that a lady footballer had scored her first goal in 14 months.
--
Spike

She's no lady, just a woman, no tiara, stupid.
On 16/06/2019 09:29, Spike wrote:

There are plenty of BBC programmes showing women playing football. I wish they would put them on a separate channel so that the normal programmes could be shown.
--
Michael Chare

Same could be said for any sporting event. When is causes the regular programming to be cancelled.
As you say, plenty other free channels these days to put them on.
--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Yes, I have been saying that for years. Dedicate a BBC and however many independent channels to sports coverage and stop messing with the schedules for everything else. It doesn't even matter if things clash, as most people use a PVR these days.
SteveW

I don’t bother with the video news anymore, use the text news feeds which allows you to skip the crap and read what you want.
On 16/06/2019 10:22, Rod Speed wrote:

Late night listening to the BBC world service reveals a lot of news that is never reported on prime time TV/Radio.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 11:34:59 +0100, alan_m wrote:

It also tends to be *far* more accurate. With a world-wide audience, they can't get away with lying about what any particular country is getting up to when there are listeners from that country fact-checking every report.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

I use their RSS service so I can skip the crap like sports that I have no interest in at all and the other stuff I have no interest in at all. http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml?edition=uk

Of course. It is world news, not UK news. Different priorities.
--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Shouldn't the British public be made more aware of world news? What we seem to have at present is 24 hour news channels that endlessly repeat the same trivia, political spin or the latest press release.
In the latter case often the press release is taken at face value without any analysis into the truth of the statements or what they may actually mean, especially if a rise or fall in something is statistically insignificant. Maybe most journalist lack any knowledge of things they are reporting on.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Problem is that the fixed time slot problem prevents that.

The best ones do a hell of a lot more than that but still don’t allow you to skip the stuff that’s of no interest.

The best of them don’t operate like that.

The whole point of journalism is to be able to get the info you need and that is now vastly easier than it has ever been.

You can lead a horse to water...

But not on the World Service? 24 news BTW is designed to dip in and out of. So of course it repeats itself.

The cost of running a news service that didn't rely on agency etc stuff would be horrendous.
--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:54:57 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

+1 It was the unending Brexit reportage that sealed it for me.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

You've just described the London to Brighton bike race.
--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Marland wrote :

+1

:-))