OT: SMS Gateway

Can anyone recommend an email/web to SMS gateway for sending occasional texts from my PC, please?

Preferably, one that's free or a few pence per text. Also, one that's reliable and doesn't harvest email addresses or telephone numbers for spam purposes.

Reply to
GB

I'd like one that can receive them as well, saving me forgetting to listen to my mobile. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm still trying to work out how to send texts from my non-smart 'phone, so this thread might be interesting!

Reply to
Davey

My sipgate voip account charges 6p per sms. send via web interface

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't have voip, I have a mobile 'phone, so that information, while possibly interesting, is of very little use to me.

Reply to
Davey

1/.sipgate account is free 2/.you dont have to actually use it to use thhe sms gateway
Reply to
Tjoepstil

But how do I use it when I'm away from home? That's why I have a mobile 'phone.

Reply to
Davey

But how do I use it when I'm away from home? That's why I have a mobile 'phone.

Reply to
Davey

login using a web browser. if you have a mobile phone you already HAVE an SMS gateway

Reply to
Tjoepstil

How about Skype?

Install the software on your PC, put a few pounds into your account, and it is then Pay as You Go. Just checked, 5.6p per SMS.

Don't think I used mine for a couple of years, and the balance of a couple of pounds is still there, so don't think is expires.

Reply to
JoeJoe

CardboardFish is good. You send messages from their website and they look to the recipient as though you sent them from your phone, replies go to your phone.

Reply to
Murmansk

dennis

I don't know how to activate the SMS gateway, I see an option for "New Chat" but none for "New message".

And I have no option to use a web browser on a non-smart mobile.

Reply to
Davey

I use MightyText - you install an app on the phone and then you can manage and interact with messages, contacts, schedules and photos etc from a web browser on any device. Your phone does the actual sending and receiving.

John Rumm

I have a prog on this machine which allows be to send an SMS via the land line. Using the old dial up modem. Just tried it - and it still works. ;-)

BTW, didn't know you could buy a mobile that doesn't do SMS.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which phone do you have? And have you RTFM'd?

Reply to
GB

Thanks, all. Skype is straightforward, as it's already installed on my PC, and I don't mind a few pence per message.

I have a non-smart phone, and it's far too fiddly to send texts IMHO.

Reply to
GB

An Alcatel 2051X.

Yes. It just says to go to "New Message", which doesn't appear. "New Chat", does, but that is no good. I wanted to send a message to a five-digit number to confirm there was no change in my house voting arrangements, but I couldn't, so I called the 0800 number instead. But I would still be interested in getting this working. Maybe I'll just stop the next 10-year old I see walking past, he'll know (or she, must be non-partisan!).

It's too old for Alcatel to even acknowledge its existence, although it was a recent insurance replacement for one that had a cracked screen.

I think that I must be missing some gateway opening or setup, but have no idea how to do this. Serching has not provided the answer, every tutorial assumes this is already working.

Reply to
Davey

It's not all that old. It's on the Alcatel website and for sale from Argos.

Reply to
Max Demian

Interesting. I couldn't find it on the Alcatel website yesterday.

Reply to
Davey