OT (slightly): grade 2 listed buildings - practical experiences?

Thanks! I probably can't get to the exhibition but that's a useful link.

Reply to
nospam

I know a few people who have done this. Once. Due to all the hassle. These people are a pain in the arse.

Far better to find a nondescript building on a good site and demolish it.

Reply to
harry

I think our local CO is on side. They've realised that we're carrying out repairs that have needed doing. In fact we've uncovered one major bodge that's over 100 years old. Though to be honest we've left it too... the sole plate on an internal wall really ought to be replaced. All the uprights were sometime in the Victorian era (judging by the timber) but to do it now would require a complete replastering, so we only replaced the bit that had a major supporting role.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Short answer: A Listed Building is a liability not an asset.

I lived in a Grade II listed house for over 30 years. A totally unremarkable early Victorian inner-London terrace, the houses next door had been rebuilt over the Metropolitan railway cut and cover, mine was part of the original terrace. The interior had been so modified by the time of listing in the 1970s that there was nothing but the façade. However listing covers the whole building and grounds not just particular features so you have to be careful.

Reply to
DJC

Substantial internal changes I wanted to make to my plain Georgian terraced house were agreed by Conservation Officer in a letter " the internal changes will NOT affect the special interest of this listed building and consent will not be needed". Recent replacement of a large dormer window , the planning authority went out of the way to agree a plan which was " a repair" and didnt need permission , this included changing to double glazing and an extra opening light. Pros of selling a listed building - no EPC needed.

Reply to
Robert

In days of yore planning officers were practical people who had "come up from the bottom"and were very knowledgeable.

Nowadays the are swivel-eyed goofs with no practical knowledg ebut a degree in art or social studies. About as much use as a chocolate teapot but with the ego of Herman Goering.

Reply to
harry

Sadly not in our experience. Grade 2 listed building "project" in South Devon. Nice neighbours either side for a few years then one side trotted off to Southampton and handed tenancy to local council.

First lot were OK for a year then "she" became a fruit cake and he stayed inside stoned. Both paranoid and she would get very feisty and verbally attack us for no reason.

Next lot, she was OK but had and looked after wayward kids, some were her own which included a child mother who would throw shtty nappies into our garden and they'd park on our drive... These were the worst ones. Dirty bastard kids and their mates though the mother was honestly trying to keep them in control.

Current lot have 6 kids or so but they seem quite nice though we've not been down for a while due to other commitments.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I didn't know that.

Reply to
newshound

This is the smallest 'listed building' that I know. And probably the cheapest to maintain.

(yes, it's the post in the middle. Just the post.)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Whoop-de-doo. You get to save £45 for a stupid piece of paper than no-one ever looks at or gives a damn about.

Reply to
Huge

ROFL.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, here we are.

Bob Eager

Didn't even save me a penny, agent who sold my flat (listed GII) included the EPC as part of the service (well given the fee, well they might).

Reply to
DJC