[OT] Server side "Cloud" software

Not wishing to share may data with google or any other 3rd party I've

started looking at having some sort of "cloud" server software on my Linux (CentOS 5.8) based server.

Principle requirements are to be FOSS, sync calenders and contacts between Android mobile devices, file sharing would be nice but not essential and a "user friendly" (local) web interface to calenders/contacts/files.

I like DAVdroid as it can sync calendars and contacts within a single

account rather than having the "clutter" of separate calDAV and cardDAV accounts. The DAVdroid site

mentions many compatible servers:

ownCloud, Posteo, Radicale, SOGo, eGROUPWARE, MyKolab.com, contactzilla, Baikal, iCLOUD, OS X Server, zimbra, DAViCAL, Yandex, Group Office, Cozy Cloud, FastMail....

I've only installed and played with ownCloud so far, that works syncing calendars and contacts with the Android devices I have via DAVdroid but the web interface leaves a little to be desired.

Posteo web site appears to be single language that isn't english... Baikal is server only, no local web interface to calendars etc. Cozy Cloud doesn't do files, yet... Some of the others I've looked at appear to be aimed at the corporate market and a little heavy weight for us.

Has anyone played with SOGo

? I like the idea of native sync with Outlook (No.1 Daughter uses Outlook) and activesync, I still use my ancient HP iPAQ Windows Mobile device that has Activesync but little chance of DAV. The SOGo site and demo looks very slick and feature rich, it also has RPM's for RedHat/CentOS and instructions for YUM (my server uses YUM for package management).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

First, I need to convince my wife to stop doing this with bits of paper.

Reply to
Huge

Prompted by Mr Plowmans comments on Samsung Kies, my first requirement is to have a simple way of syncing my phone and tablet without having to use Samsung kies via Outlook. Once I have something running with a decent web interface I might suggest that other family members start to use it.

Though TBH I don't really expect them to do so reliably, a quick scribble in the family paper diary(*) is a lot quicker than entering an event in an electronic one. No.1 Daughter might, SWMBO'd keeps her own paper diary and isn't very good at putting things in the main family one...

I've got SOGo up and running, it's even been packaged for my server software so installation was just enabling a few additional repositorys and running yum a couple of times.

(*) Self produced, week per page, column for each family member and a blank one for other events. Duplex printed on 125 gsm and comb bound so tough enough to last a year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

FWIW I embarked on electronic calendars here with not much hope of acceptance but actually it worked out much better than I thought possible. There's only me and SWMBO but having one personal calendar[*] each and a shared calendar has worked without a hitch, and we each know what's coming up much better than before, mainly because we can add and change events whenever we think of it rather than only when we're at home. The old paper calendar went into the bin and won't be coming back.

[*] By "calendar" I mean list of events. That's what the app writers call them. I don't like it. To me a calendar is a grid that you write things on, not the list of things.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

She won't even use the FiloFax I bought her. Calendar hangs on the frig door. Her "Contacts" is a pile of Post-Its, scraps of paper, torn off backs of Xmas cards, much scribbled upon printout from my (computerised) contacts and the falling apart index notebook I used to use 30 years ago. Many of the people in it are dead. Most of the rest have changed their addresses or phone numbers. Some are indexed under first name, some under surname and some under Ghod-knows-what.

We also had a huge row about the filing cabinet a couple of weeks ago.

Women, eh?

Reply to
Huge

We run nearly 10 google calendars between us.

Me personal, SWMBO's, My work[1], kid-1, kid-2, household being the main ones.

The rest are things like her leave, my leave, school dates, bank holidays, car events (like any insurance happenings, eg insurance claim for chipped windscreen.

The reason is they are all overlaid and we can turn various on and off to reduce screen clutter, but still have low grade items easily available.

[1] Because my work insists on using that damn awful MS Office 365 or whatever it's called today which integrates[2] so poorly with Android that it's easier to manually copy the few events that bother me to a google calendar. [2] Last time I tried, it wanted permission to erase my phone. Guess what it got told. FFS I work in academia, not the military.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, we run multiple google calendars here and that works pretty well, esp for me and SWMBO, . Being able to add things to it out and about on my phone made me keep track of things much better.

Though kids still prefer the paper calendar as well, so something that are of interest to them get transferred onto that (sometimes...)

Reply to
Chris French

Snap.

But if you were thinking about offering a civil partnership, forget it.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

My opening line "Not wishing to share may data with google or any other 3rd party ..." seems to have been lost somewhere. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, we were just drifting off about calendars :-)

Reply to
Chris French

AFAIK, that's a choice made by 'your' admins, which is implemented rather than imposed by the software itself ...

Reply to
Andy Burns