OT: Sat nav

I thought the EU one (Galileo) was not completed yet, and indeed was one of the bones of contention with Brexit.

Reply to
Scott

it doesn't have a full constellation of satellites yet, but my phone picks up those it does have, they can't deny 'normal' users access after brexit, but they can refuse to give UK military the keys for high precision access.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not only "can" they, they *have* to. It was a condition when the project was set up. Most members weren't too bothered but one member absolutely insisted that non-EU users were not allowed to access the military capabilities.

That member was the UK.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Doh!

I assume that was all part of the Brexit *plan*? Oh no, it wasn't was it, their plan was just a list of fundamental principals that were never likely to be retailed (in total) and the full impact / consequences were never fully considered (by the fanatic Brexiteers ... or if they were, were discounted as trivial or 'Project Fact////Fear'). ;-(

What the vote (that should have just been a poll) seems to indicate (to those who seem to be more interested in number comparisons than real democracy) is that 'we all want to leave the EU at any cost' or '<enter list of non EU issues that I'll throw into the hat whilst we are there>', not realising that in doing so the chances are they will be making themselves worse off (and the Country is already worse off by billions in direct Brexit costs, wasted time and lack of direction and commercial commitment).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

FWIW, Garmin and Sumsung seem to as the link between my phone and GPS seems to be very durable / reliable.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cheers. I need a bigger memory card:-)

18 months worth of trips in this picture.

I might download the obvious map for now (which is most of South Yorkshire and a few bits around it)

Reply to
ARW

Rather than using Google maps you may wish to have a look at Here maps in which you can download (and keep - Google used to have {still has?} a time limit on retention of off line maps) maps by region or country.

The navigation may not be as good as Google (I don't know) but it and its maps have never failed to get me where I want to go. I used to have a stand alone Tom Tom but found that Tom's lifetime of support was considerable less than my life expectancy and Here maps (IMO) are just as good.

Reply to
Ermin

12 months now, and it will update them for you if you have wifi available (or you could use 4G, but that might defeat the purpose).

Here maps might be worth a look now, but a few hears back when I tried it, it was a total battery hog, also I don't think it supports Android Auto.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think it's the reverse. Android Auto is hardwired to Google Maps.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

not at all, I can choose between Waze and Google Maps from the "nav" icon on my car's display

Reply to
Andy Burns

Each one does a different job.

The Nuvicam has a 6'' screen, a streetmap of everywhere in Europe and a 1080 HD webcam, plus 2x128GB memory cards.

The Nuvi 550 has Ordnance Survey maps for walking in the countryside.

The 3790T is a back pocket device for walking around European cities to hotels and restaurants.

The Edge 1000 is for cycling.

Reply to
swldxer1958

The best of them don?t do that. They allow you to specify the speed you want to travel at when there are no cars in front of you in your lane, and the distance from the car in front of you if there is a car in front of you in your lane.

That allows you to let the ACC cruise along behind the car in front until you decide its fine to overtake if that car is travelling slower than you would prefer. Then you just press the accelerator to initiate the overtake, take your foot off it once you have overtaken, and it then returns to ACC control completely automatically.

What I cant find is one that uses the speed limit database and allows you to tell it how much faster than the speed limit you want it to travel at, so that when you come to a town along the long distance trip, it will automatically drop down to the town speed limit and then automatically go up to the highway speed limit once you are out of the town again.

And we have more than one out of town speed limit too.

80kmph on the narrower roads, 100kmph on the normal non motorway highways, and 110kmph on the best of the motorways.

Yeah, I currently have a manual but will likely get an automatic for that convenience. Works better with ACC too, particularly around corners in built up areas where I normally change down for many corners.

Reply to
2987fr

No its not, you can project any app on the phone that supports AA onto the screen in the dash.

Reply to
2987fr

I actually DO have a mobile phone - here it is!

swldxer1958

maps.me.

Once you have downloaded the app and the maps you need you can use it without any Internet or 'phone signal.

Not smart tho is it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is on a desert island.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Really? Looks like a crummy suburban back yard in Britain,to me...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, the green eyed monster raises it's ugly head ...

But hey, you (TNP) should be used to living on an island yourself, what with your Brexit beliefs and Linux etc ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's me learned.