OT... GPS's

Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm blue in the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on NewEgg, any suggestions for competitors?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

I have a Magellan, TomTom, internal GPS on my Smartphone (works great because it will download the google maps satellite image as a layer) and an external USB GPS on my notebook.

You didn't say what the intended use might so I will assume auto navigation. I like the current TomTom products. I would look at one of the TomTom 4.5" XL series (maybe a 340).

Reply to
George

Let me tell you everything you need to know about GPSs. It all depends on the use. For one that is bulletproof, for just hiking, the Garmin XL12 is so good, one is in every USAF survival pack. A TomTom is good for driving, and I have one. The smallest one, but it really helps for what I use it for, and that's locating properties for real estate surveys. The better ones have all the bells and whistles and a bigger screen. The bigger more expensive ones have cds and computer interfaces so that it is really helpful when driving or motorhoming. They all have touch screen navigation, and some are more user friendly. There is a gps newsgroup, too, and you might want to lurk there and post. Don't let the knowitalls and snobs rattle your tree, though, as they will try.

It all depends on the use. I have two of the Garmin 12xl's, and I use them for navigating around for atv'ing, rockhounding, geocaching, etc. About $125 each. My TomTom was a gift, and it cost the giver $100. They go from there, and get up in the $400 range for one with all the bells and whistles. I wouldn't have one of the more expensive ones, but you are not me. Again, asses the use, then buy accordingly. One that is complicated and hard to use is no fun when you just want to get back to the same place you found a nice rock, or find the trail again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

My personal experience and opinion is that there is not much difference between the units. They all start with the same data, and they all have more than sufficent accuracy. The differences are in the interface and size and price of the unit. I like mine that has voice anouncements of the upcomming street names and instructions.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

ditto on the Magellan. Used it to get to NYC and back to TX. Only got lost once in DC because it sent us to the opposite side of town.

Reply to
Master Betty

What's best for you really depends on intended use. e.g. for driving navigation there are plenty to choose from, there are some that can also be used for hiking, biking, boating, etc. and a lot of what you are paying for are the maps (don't believe me? check out Garmin's site - buying a map that your unit isn't loaded with costs about half as much as the unit itself) so it pays to get what you need up front. Also updates are good - I recently bought a Garmin and it was useless until I took advantage of my "free" map update. Haven't had to go outside my sphere of influence since updating so can't say how out of date the "current" maps are. Took about 4 hrs. on a 56K connection to do everything. I also downloaded an enforcement camera database as well so it can warn me when Big Brother is watching (I live just outside of DC, there's both speed and red light cameras all over the place. That also explains somewhat why an out of date map isn't much use to me - there's tons of construction projects going on around here and all the way out into Loudoun County...)

But short answer, if we knew what you were going to be using it for, we might be able to give you better advice. Me, I got a Garmin nuvi 500, which is pretty much an all-around compromise - it's mostly driving centric, but doesn't have spoken street names and has a smaller screen than some other models. It's waterproof, but only has a rough topo map and no marine charts. It costs about the same as a better unit for driving only. So if your priorities are different than mine you might be disappointed with the unit I bought... (and who knows if I even bought the exact best unit for me.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

on 8/24/2009 8:08 PM (ET) Mike wrote the following:

I have had, and still have Garmins for automobile use. If your someone has a cell phone, get one with Bluetooth capability.

Reply to
willshak

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. It does what I ask of it. I have little experience with other brands, but they all seem to have comparable features in a given price range, they all use the same satellites and most use the same maps.

GPS is reliable and mine gets me where I want to go. Keep in mind though, it does not always know the "best" route. Computers have their little quirks and it will pick the route you requested, say shortest, but that may take you ways you would prefer not to travel. They don't know traffic conditions, rush our tie ups and so forth. As a forinstance, I'm in northeast CT and if I plug in a destination around New Jersey or Philadelphia, it will route me down rt. 95 and across the George Washington Bridge. I'd rather go route 84 and the Tappan Zee Bridge. Having traveled those routes for 30 years, I don't even turn the GPS on until I'm close to an unknown area for my destination. It is very hand looking for those city streets.

Handy as they are, you still have to look out the window to drive to where you want to go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

re: My personal experience and opinion is that there is not much difference between the units.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your personal experience must be very limited.

re: They all start with the same data...

I disagree, but I guess that depends on what you are calling "data". For example, Garmin uses NavTeq maps and Tom-Tom uses Tele-Atlas. While both contain a number of (different) errors, there are definite differences in the maps and the algorithms used to plan routes.

re: ...and they all have more than sufficent (sic) accuracy

I guess that depends on your definition of "sufficient accuracy"

I once ran a Magellan and a Garmin side by side and the Magellan sent me the wrong way at 2 different highway junctions near my house. As soon as I followed the incorrect directions, the unit immediately recalculated and routed me in a big loop to get back to where the Garmin told me to go in the first place. If going a few miles (or more) out of the way on the wrong highway is what you'd call "sufficient accuracy" then that's OK for you...but not for me. Imagine being routed into in-bound rush hour traffic when you wanted to go away from the city and having to sit in the traffic just so you could loop around to get back to where you belonged.

re: The differences are in the interface and size and price of the unit.

And features like MP3 players and FM Traffic receivers and the number of VIA points and Text-To-Speech and the ability to learn routes and the ability to download pre-planned routes (i.e. your own tours) from the internet and the ease of adding custom waypoint files and I could go on and on.

The difference in features and accuracy cover as wide a range as the price range from very affordable to way above my budget.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

See my previous post where I mentioned that I ran a Magellan and Garmin side by side. The Magellan sent me the wrong way at 2 different highway junctions near my house while the Garmin sent me the right way both times.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd really like to see some long term comparisons done like that between brands .

I have a Garmin and it has taken me a couple of crazy routes. One has been corrected. The first work day I had the unit I figured Id try it out. Leaving my house, it went the same way I'd normally go. About 15 miles later on a secondary road, it wanted me to make a left, right, left, to go around a small town green and gazebo rather than just continue 100 yards straight on the road.

Another time, it had me go off the road making a left, then a right, then a left, then a right soft of like zig-zagging up the set of steps. I could have just continued 1/2 mile to the light and made a left and cut out all the back road stuff. The computer probably showed that route as being a tiny bit shorter, but did not mention about all the school busses I'd run into.

Making checks like that on a known route is easy, but If I'm traveling in unknown territory I'd have to follow and accept the route unless I had a map.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a bare bones TomTom. It is kinda funny some times when you are looking at a road, and Tom says there is none there. Then, when there's a blockage, and you have to go around, or you just know a short cut that Tom doesn't, he gets all flustered, "TURN AROUND" or "MAKE A U TURN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" are common remarks, but he soon replots the way, and an alternate is displayed. If you live in the country, this is particularly noticeable, as they only have the paved and major roads displayed. Still, for a small $100 unit, it does a lot. Saved me time a lot of times.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

My Garmin 12xl's rattle around on an atv for hundreds of miles, get left out in the sun and rain, and so far, so good. Not so sure how other units would have done, but these have sat in rain, snow, and 115 degree heat and didn't squawk.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is the one I'm looking at. It will be used for driving.

Mike

One of the "features" of the Nuvi line is (it is suspected) that it will try to place your destination on the right and/or route you via routes that make more rights than left. Rumor has it that this is because rights use less gas than sitting while waiting to make a left.

As I said...rumor has it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Let me add that with my two Garmin C340's I like the fact that if I drive differently than the prescribed route, within a 100 feet or so the unit will recalculate a new route and 9 out of 10 times it will be my preferred route.

On long routes, such as taking 84 to the Tappan zee, I would put in my final destination and then a waypoint such as the intersection of I84 and the Garden State Parkway which will cause the unit to redirect the primary way I wish to travel.

Most responders are correct, most are similar so try to find a store that has multiple brands, powered on and let you play with them.

Good luck

Reply to
bobmct

re:"TURN AROUND" or "MAKE A U TURN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" are common remarks

I have a utility that allows me to change the things that my Nuvi says.

Some examples...

"Make a U-turn" is now "Turn Around, Fool." (as per Mr. T) "Recalculating" is now "Lost Again!" "Arriving at ..." is now "Yahoo! You made it to..."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good product name. Good price. It will do more than the average owner can learn how to make it do the first year. Nice wide screen. I'd buy it. Don't overthink this. This gps is like a computer. It will do more than the average user can make it do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Consider buying your unit on eBay (the 264WT appears to be available for cheaper than at NewEgg) but know this:

1 - Keep in mind that these will probably be refurbished models, but will come with the same Garmin-backed warranty that Garmin offers on it's new units. If it's eligible for a map upgrade when you register it with Garmin, you'll get it. 2 - Before purchasing, contact the seller and ask if they will supply a non-eBay receipt with the unit. Garmin specifically states that they will not honor warranties for units purchased at auction sites, but if you have a receipt from the seller's store, you'll be fine.

I've purchased 3 Garmins in this manner, received map upgrades on all

3 (within 30 days) and even returned one under warranty for exchange. They never asked for a receipt, but I had them ready if required.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a Garmin nuvi 205w and like it a lot. Very easy to figure out without a manual. Whatever make or model you get, get a widescreen unit. The square screen units are disappearing from the scene anyhow, much like it's difficult to find a square-screen TV anymore.

Reply to
Bob M.