[OT] RUles for speed of checkout at Aldi/Lidl

I recall a Which report that mentioned Lidl has more own-brand than Aldi although they didn't compare the amount of own-brand to the other supermarkets.

I find the quality of Lidl own-brand is generally very good and usually better than Tesco or Asda own-brand.

Reply to
pamela

but it isn't, is it?

the freshness is just down to luck, sometimes T will be fresher, sometimes not

and the taste has all been "engineered" away in the quest for longer shelf life/better yields.

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's a generic brand, made up just for Lidl (or whoever)

Out in Germany where this is rife, you will find identical products on the shelves of all the stores with this business model - all with different brand names, but the small print on the back tells you they have come from the same factory.

I haven't actually managed to match up any Aldi/Lidl products in the UK, perhaps they are just better at camouflaging it.

tim

Reply to
tim...

Maybe it's the only supermarket for miles and they have limited transport. Who knows. I can certainly understand that not everyone can cope with Aldi/Lidl esepcially if they are infirm or disabled.

Reply to
pamela

Even more amazing is that time there as no one at that till except me and my sister. There were two Sainsbury's workers on that till station. We actually discussed how rushed checking out at Lidl was and how they never offered to pack your bags. Smiles and general chat all round. No stress. Make shopping into leisure or even entertainment.

I wonder how Sainsury's can afford such staffing levels. I would go more often except it's quite a long way and there are two Lidls and one Aldi closer.

Meanwhile the local Lidl looks a bit like something on the front line in Beirut and the hassle and stress feel like it. I wouldn't be surprised if you could come out, in addition to your cornflakes, with enough decking screws, wires and bits of heavy duty metal to make an improvised bomb!

Reply to
pamela

First action when using any self-checkout is to hit the mute key.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Since there seem to be many things you dislike about the lidaldi model, what reason (other than lower prices) do you go there rather than other supermarkets?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So are you suggesting that those two alter their business model and increase prices to make themselves more customer friendly as some sort of social service? Besides I have never seen either of them set up at a location where they are the only Supermarket for miles , if you can find such a location then please let me know where it is. All the ones I have seen have been set up on sites to take custom away from the older established stores nearby. If people are going into them despite not liking the experience then the desire to save money must be a greater driver than staying calm.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I am pointing out factors which may significantly affect their business model. It's no use pretending the Aldi/Lidl model is now at its optimum and will never need modifying. Many people are unhappy with customer service cut to the bone and it may also be counterproductive in terms of profits. It's all very well being a deep discount store but if it is so unpleasant (like some of the dodgier pound shops I have seen) then a customer will not use them at all.

That only shows you don't know all their store locations. I hope you don't mind if I don't give my location.

That may have been in the past when these discounters were establishing a foothold. Over time this has changed a lot as the discounters have gone through various phases. I now see Lidls and Aldis open on green field sites a long way away from other supermarkets.

At the moment that might well be the balance but as soon as a rival opens with slightly improved customer service for slightly higher prices then I would go there. YMMV. I used to shop at Lidl every week but as it's such a scrum I now order most groceries online from one of their rivals and just visit Lidl for the odd item.

Reply to
pamela

I particularly like some of their products which may not be available in other stores. The pricing is good too. Most importantly of all is that there is one of their stores within an easy walk.

Reply to
pamela

Think you'll find the same in the UK. Own brand comes from the same factory as a 'name' in many cases.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It already has from the days when it was basically just stock on pallets under dim lighting. I actually liked them in the intermediate period and now find the modern versions no longer always the cheapest or different enough to go to them as much as I did.

Which is why I asked,

Sorry , I didn't know you lived in one.

Over time this has changed a lot as the

A main shopping trip for us 12 miles each way so perhaps are perceptions of long way differ.

I just find they are no longer as interesting ,and now the offers can be viewed on line there is no longer the excitement or surprise of going in for some cereal and coming home with some a compressor.

I'll admit to some nervousness about shopping for the rest of the week as we are visiting the markets in Morocco , I suspect Aldi will be a haven of tranquility in comparison.

Last correspondonce, Must fly.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But not always the same recipe...

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Makes me slow down! Checkouts are for my convenience, if the shop doesn't provide enough of them or sufficient staff, then other delayed complaining customers might change something. Not likely however IME of the Local Lidl.

Reply to
Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: Not so sure about that. The very fact that the queues are longer at Lidl

Or try Home Bargains, very fast checkout IME.

Reply to
Capitol

Part of teh broblem is that on emptying my baskets onto the moving belt the lighter stuff comes out first as I shop for teh heavier items first so the y go in the botton of the basket. But when packing I want the heavier items at the botton but it;'s the lighter items that get scanned first.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You could try simply not just tipping out the contents of your basket onto the belt. Put the light things at the back, heavy to the front. They then tend to then come through the checkout like that. Unless you are unlucky enough to have harry on the till.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But there's not enough space on the belt to remove all the lite things then remove the heavy and place them in front. There's less than 2ft of belt space two 6 packs of crips almost fills it. Remmeber there's soneone in front and someone behind.

Reply to
whisky-dave