OT: Rind on bacon

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to get "rind on" bacon around where I live. Is this nationwide, local, and why? Butchers just say that's how it arrives to them. Or do the public no longer want that lovely chewy/crispy bit?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Nah, Pork Crackling is what ye want.

And me, thanks :( now got the munchies....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I'm with you. It is most annoying. I think it's the result of the Health Nuts who don't want the fat, so the rind has to go. That's what knives are for, darnit!

Reply to
Davey

I am severely disappointed that long back bacon is effectively unobtainable. I like having more or less a nice bit of meaty back with a decent bit of streaky all in one.

Reply to
polygonum

That's your problem, right there.

One of our local butchers has it "arrive to them" squealing and walking. All of the other local butchers have it arrive to them by the half a carcass at the time.

But we're in an area where they have little whiteboards in the butcher's with the name of the farmer and the farm - and many of the local butchers, if they don't actually have farms themselves, are related to the big local farming families.

Reply to
Adrian

That's the OTHER half of the problem...

Industrial flavourless by-the-ton shit masquerading as food.

Reply to
Adrian

Why doesn't bacon have those little round white hard bits in it any more? They were revolting, but I miss them.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

In message , AnthonyL writes

Expensive, but does have taste and rind. I get the smoked middle bacon down the page:

Nick

Been wondering the same - I saw some once in a shop, but it's all but gone.

Most of it is waterlogged crap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Both rind and gristle seem to have been missing for some time - this thread dates back to 2007

(But no real answers)

Reply to
Chris B

Morrisons were doing a nice dry cured bacon until last year but that has been replaced with that cr@p Wiltshire cure stuff now.

We bought some dry cure bacon in Sainsburys two weeks ago and it was really nice. It was reduced as, it appears, no one wants dry cure bacon any more. They didn't have any last week.

One to avoid is the pre-packed dry cure in Asda, its american cr@p and it was >90% fat when I opened the pack.

Reply to
dennis

Far too many are also overloaded with sugar.

Reply to
polygonum

According to an ex-butcher rind-on bacon takes an extra step because the skin does not absorb salt, and because folk today do not even want the fat on the edge of bacon let alone rind. No taste I say.

Reply to
AnthonyL

and we have a winner...

And whilst half the people alive wouldn't know good bacon if it got of the plate and slapped them, I refuse to believe that's the reason

*no-one* produces bacon with rind.
Reply to
Tim Watts

not that I eat much bacon, I like the taste but not the fat.

while on the subject of food here's a place not far from me.

whisky-dave

I like the caption at the foot of each nauseating photograph.

"Credit: Waltham Forest Council"

Oh, well done!

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Oooh - there's a Morrisons near me...

I see a report like this nearly every week. What possesses a fundamentally dirty bastard to open a food shop in the first place?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its more profitable to remove the skin from the pig, drop it in liquid nitrogen, hit it with a hammer, cook it and then sell it as pork scratchings.

Reply to
alan_m

The desire to spread a little happiness? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or he has shares in penicillin?