OT repairing glasses

If its the plastic which has broken back a long time ago I had one fixed and you could feel a slight lump there but nothing else. I have no idea how it was done. The annoying breakages are where the metal insert cracks the arm and its then very hard to glue the lot together again strong enough and it is very visible too, since it splinters, not just cleanly breaks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Yes many are slightly deformed as the old complaint was that the screw went missing. Normally though it just makes it quite tight to get out. I think a touch of screwlok when its put back is normally pretty good. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I've been using the same frame design from Specsavers for my last few pairs. Unfortunately, the lenses are not always interchangeable but I have swapped side arms and nose bits. One problem is that the "centre punch" method of locking the screws is sometimes so tight that it cannot be undone, at other times insufficient so that screws can come out.

Reply to
newshound

Unlikely. You may be lucky and find the frames are still available and they will swap the lenses over but even then some styles only seem to be available for about 5 mins ;-) More than once I?ve seen a some frames when Senior Management was having her eyes tested etc and I was just killing time but, when my test was due, the style wasn?t available.

I?ve heard good things of these online suppliers. They seem very economical.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The other good fix for a missing screw is a short length of stripped wire from T&E. I forget for the moment which size is right, it might be

2.5mm^2 earth or 1mm^2 cable. Cut a length of about 1 cm, put it centrally in place of the screw, fold each end back at 180 degrees against the side of the hinge facing the lens with the tails side by side, cut tails to length with side cutter.
Reply to
newshound

No. Don't assume anything, just input the numbers that are there, leave anything else blank. If anything appears to be missing it will be queried but if you add numbers that aren't on the prescription you'll get something unsuitable.

Any necessary details *will* be written/printed on the prescription, not all the boxes need filling in.

Reply to
R D S

That can be OK but don't expect anything fantastic for your £6

As soon as you want anything but the basic coating, such as thinner lenses, tints or react to light etc. the price starts ramping up significantly - but not to the level of the high street retailers. A second pair ordered at the same time is usually discounted.

Also be aware of processing and delivery times. The last time I used SelectSpecs it was only after I placed the order that they emailed me to say that the type of lens I wanted would normally take 20 days (they meant 20 WORKING days - 4 weeks) in the lab. It actually took 22 working days. They then sent another email informing me that if the order had been processed in the UK delivery would be 48 hours and if processed in China up to another 20 WORKING days. Luckily my order was processed in the UK.

I'm very satisfied with the glasses I received.

Reply to
alan_m

As I am with my re glazing plus my new frameless spectacles, the benefit was not having to go to a shop, straightforward, no pressure, transaction and imo better advice as well as the substantial saving. Maybe not the cheapest I went on personal recommendation from a denizen practitioner of this group.

Reply to
AJH

I wasn't going to add anything

but I can see from a previous script the the blank box shouldn't contain "0"

I was kind of wondering if the people who do the tests deliberately do this to make it hard(er) for you shop around

Reply to
tim...

I once had a eye check a Boots the Chemist. I purchased one pair of glasses from them but a prescription wasn't automatically offered. When I insisted on one the sign in front of the values was transposed (a negative value rather than a positive value). I found this out when checking it against a number of older prescriptions. I believe it was a deliberate attempt to stop me buying glasses elsewhere. I have never been back to Boots for anything else since - no wonder they are going to sack so many people.

Reply to
alan_m

not giving you a script to "shop around" with is not unique to boots

they all try it

Reply to
tim...