[OT] refuse - what's the point?

Andy Dingley coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can't argue with what you've said, but there's been an incinerator-generator plant running for some years next to Millwall football ground. I used to pass it everyday in the rain to London Charing Cross and it seems both active and generally unsmelly. Given they're pretty fussy about burning things in London I took it to be a mark of success. Don;t know what happens to the ash though.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:39:25 +0100 someone who may be Grunff wrote this:-

If you can find an easy way of decontaminating waste gathered together in this way then I'm sure there are people would like to hear what you have to say.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:22:49 GMT someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

indeed. If one uses washing up water so much the better.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 14 Sep 2007 18:35:46 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

The manager of a reasonably local glass recycling plant said in the spring that using glass in this way has made it more expensive for him to get hold of glass to put through his plant. He was not happy about the situation.

Remember that things vary round the UK. The glass mountain is in SE England, not the rest of the UK.

Reply to
David Hansen

Re-cycling is a waste of time. It takes more energy to re-cycled than just to burn the stuff. 99% of all household waste is burnable (incendiary if iron and aluminium). Stack scrubbers are good enough now to keep the products of combustion to safe levels. mentioned on the Defra web site too. It is better to burn the stuff and make electricity out of it and save oil. Have local stations and all the waste heat can be piped to homes taking the efficiencies way high; as in Scandinavia.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On 15 Sep 2007 07:33:21 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

What terms do you put into your real sense equation?

Does it include terms for the necessary space, the equivalent of Murrayfield stadium every day for Scotland? Does it include terms for the water pollution? Does it include terms for those living near landfill sites? Does it include terms for the wildlife caught up in plastic, for example plastic bags?

Reply to
David Hansen

How about "decontamination" when householders put items in the wrong containers?

If it's *really* so important then it should be dealt with in a way that is automated or does not rely on people who are not qualified to do the work.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What happens in the case of a dishwasher? There are several problems

- Items that are being thrown out taking up space and resulting in the DW needing to be run again

- Labels coming off and blocking the filter

Better to just chuck the lot in the one bin and be done with it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, but that's *Millwall*. "No-one loves us and we don't care", remember?

Reply to
Huge

----------------------8><

Because somebody else takes the necessary action to shield them from the consequences?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Yes.

My waste is sorted at source into separete kitchen bins. It splits into about 75% recyclable and 25% non-recyclable. My non-recyclable wheelie bin goes out to be emptied about once every 10 weeks, and it's never more than about half full. (I do laugh when I hear people complaining of 2-weekly collections;-)

I have a large hole in the garden where some trees were pulled out. Compostable waste goes in that together with the grass clippings, until such time as it fills up. (I'm not interested in using the compost, but having the hole filled will be useful.)

We have a separate glass collection. It's taken me a year to fill the glass collection box, so that's only ever gone out once, pointless though it is as it just gets added to a large glass mountain that no one can find any viable use for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's an excellent material as it happens. As are ground up car tyres.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very little recycling makes any sense at all. Its being forced on councils by strict landfill regulations. Their response has been to pass the separation costs onto the taxpayer. And in the case of bottle banks, the transport costs as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually, it makes halfway decent ballast for concrete and hardcore type applications.

Myself I'd dump it in the sea and let nature turn it into pretty pebbles, which takes a week or two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect he was talking bollocks. Most of the glass used in this way is from wine bottles. There is little use for green cullet in the UK and that's why it mounts up in areas where wine bottles form a greater proportion of recycled glass. Brown and clear glass are usually kept separately from green and remain available to those wanting cullet.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ahh, Quelle finesse !

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Derek Geldard writes

I've just thrown out 500 video cassettes

Glowing feeling now

only another 2000 to go

Reply to
geoff

ISTR that sewage sludge used to be pumped from Manchester to Liverpool for ultimate dumping at sea, but that some years ago a power station was built along the route of the pipeline and the flow was reversed in the lower half of the pipeline, allowing Manchester and Liverpool to provide fuel.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Partly pumped and also via the Manchester Sh1t/p Canal, ISTR. I think that you are right -Shell Green?

Reply to
clot

On 16 Sep 2007 09:20:56 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

I note that despite all your subsequent typing you failed to add any more to this assertion.

Reply to
David Hansen