OT:Radio Interferance

This is OT, sorry, don't know where else to ask, hoping someone knows.

Anyone know who to complain to about radio interference? I think it's caused by a local radio amateur, but I don't have the knowledge or equipment to track to prove it; tried a friendly word, he told me to **** off!

Trading Standards don't want to know, Radio Authority has been disbanded, OFCOM will only accept a complaint from a licence holder!

Eternaly Gratefull

Shrek.

Reply to
Shrek

Well, if he is a radio amateur he isn't a responsible one.

What sort of interference are you getting? Is it on your radio, tv, stereo or what? Does it occur all the time, at specific times? What is it like? "Snap Crackle and Pops", strange noises, or what?

Not true, hassle them.

They do charge these days and will only act against the amateur if he is in the wrong (running too much power, not taking correct precautions etc). To be blunt, most cases come down to faults at the complainents end.

If OFCOM do turn out, they will want a log from you detailing times and dates. Make sure this is accurate as they will compare it with the log of transmissions amateurs must keep. If they find a correlation between his transmission times and your problems, they will investigate further. If not then it probably isn't him. If he doesn't keep a log he is on dodgey ground.

Reply to
Brian Reay

What kind of licence holder?

Looks as if it *is* OFCOM's problem:

Bob Eager

You sure?

Their website

has this...

How can we help? To ask us to investigate interference, please print and complete the investigative request form and send it to us at one of the addresses shown. If we feel that an investigation is appropriate, we will visit you during normal working hours at a time that is convenient for both of us.

Our investigation will try to identify the cause of the interference and, if appropriate, put it right.

If the interference is caused by an outside source (such as an illegal radio transmission or faulty electrical apparatus), we will take appropriate action and will not charge you. If the interference is caused by problems with the broadcast signal itself (see the next page), we will provide a report on what is wrong but will not be able to cure the interference. Again, we will not charge you. If the interference is caused by your TV or radio installation (for example, a faulty aerial, receiver, cable or plugs) or by any part of your domestic electrical system, we will charge you £50 (GBP) including VAT. (There is no charge if your household is covered by a free TV licence.) Although we cannot repair faulty or poorly-installed equipment, in some cases we can fit a filter to your equipment which may reduce interference problems. If we fit more than one filter, we may make an extra charge. Following our investigation, we will give you a written report containing our recommendations.

... and in the PDF "investigative request form" it doesn't say anything about having to be a licence holder.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Packer

It is in the terms of his license that he must take reasonable steps to minimise interference. This is normally interpreted as working with you to help solve the problem. It may well be that your equipment is at fault, not his, or it might be a source of interference that has nothing to do with him, but it is still very much in the spirit of amateur radio that he should help you to solve your problem. It sounds to me like he is not a licensed radio amateur at all, and should be reported to OFCOM.

The Radiocommunications Agency is now part of OFCOM

True, but licensed radio amateurs are expected to work with their neighbours to help find the source of the problem.

Reply to
Ben

I have a wireless network(802.11b), DECT phone and wireless doorbell (due to hearing problems) all become un-useable evenings and weekends when he is using the rig.

I had major problems with a wired alarm system late last year, the manufacturers said the problems were characteristic whith *very* high levels of RF, at the time I thought that was bull, but I my have done them an injustice.

Reply to
Shrek

In article , Brian Reay writes

Generally the problem is with *your* equipment!. This may explain his offhand attitude to some extent though its a very poor one and although I'm not one of they, their usually only too pleased to be able to help out in cases such as this.

Usually the problem is quite simple in concept. If you put a source of fairly strong RF energy near most domestic radio and TV equipment it will tend to overload such things like aerial amps and the front ends of VCR's and Satellite receivers. What is generally required is a means of filtering off the unwanted "frequencies" from the wanted.

Radio itself can be a more awkward problem and OFCOM will only investigate cases of "interference" to local stations you should have access to.

Very rarely is it a harmonic problem as filtering for that is pretty good these days and I can't say I've ever come across this problem.

OFCOM will attend but it'll cost yer, as they don't work for free any longer unless they can help it. However, if its a problem with your equipment responding to frequencies it shouldn't, your going to have to pay!.

Hence the problem area if relations break down betwixt an amateur and any one of the public;(.....

Reply to
tony sayer

In fact the outfit called the Radio Investigation Service (RIS) are now part of the same...

I don't believe this is a "legal" requirement, and these days can be a real minefield as if the amateur does anything to the affected TV then he'll be forever responsible for any problems with it. People in this situation can be VERY difficult to deal with....

It would help to be more specific as regards the problem. For instance there may be a TETRA Airwave station nearby that you are not aware of these are quite a good "interference" source

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Shrek writes

Well 2.4ghz is a real free for all, and is an unprotected service for a start. Such things as leaky microwave ovens can really upset things like that as well as a video sender next door etc.

The wireless doorbell is unlikely to use a good front end receiver that indeed as you say is immune to strong local RF fields. This device is probably operating on 434 MHz which is somewhat more prone to interference in the amateur bands. In fact there is one right next door in more ways than one!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Its the normal interpretation of the license requirements. Reasonable steps could mean anything, but is usually taken to mean that the amateur should initiate the process whereby the neighbour makes a record of their troubles (the amateur of course already has a record in his log book of all his transmissions - and that *is* a legal requirement). In order to get his license he has passed an exam which is basically designed to show that he knows how to sort out (or preferably avoid) problems like this. It is also a license requirement that he makes occassional checks for interference. It should not be up to his neighbours to come knocking on his door.

Reply to
Ben

Forgot to say, of course you're right - the amateur should not poke around inside his neighbours TV set. Assistance should be limited to things like recommending a suitable filter, etc.

Reply to
Ben

Can you tell me your postcode? I can look him up if he is a genuine radio amateur.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , Brian Reay writes

£50 deposit repayable if the complaint is upheld IIRC
Reply to
raden

In which case, I consider it unlikely he is a licensed radio amateur.

Reply to
Huge

How do you know he is "using his rig"?

Have these problems stopped? If so, what has changed?

"very high levels of RF" is a bit meaningless. Did they quote values? How far is this guy from you- approximately? (Relating the value the makers claim to be 'very high' to the sort of power he would need to be radiating is easy enough- if I know the distance.)

I can try and help but so far you haven't supplied anything to let me.

Reply to
Brian Reay

None of those items are ones that OFCOM will investigate as a rule. They are all of a class that should be designed to a sufficient stadard of imunity. Unfortunately many manufacturers all equipment that does not. It sounds to me as though he is actually a CB operator and not a radio amateur. Most radio amateurs, myself included, are willing to try and assist but at the end of the day they are not responsible for other people's defective equipment.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Gordon Bennett, we are everywhere! You, me, and Peter C!

Poor Shrek is going to think it is a conspiracy!

Reply to
Brian Reay

I am a Licenced radio amateur (callsign G4UYI), and I can tell you that most of the time the fault does lie with the 'victims' equipment. The equipment, be it radio or tv or whatever else they buy, oh including me as well, is usually in cheapo plastic boxes with little or no RF protection. The is usually a cure though and that is in cases of electric radio/tuners, run them to earth. TV's can be filtered to reject unwanted RF, and other equipment can be sheilded.

Ask the guy for his callsign in a friendly way, and if he gives it you, then ask him politely if he can help you. You will do no good just blaming him outright, as it may not be his fault.

Hope that helps

Reply to
Bob H

You mean it is not Brian?

Seriously though all three of us will be pleased to help if we can.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yep, I don't mind giving a hand if it helps. But like you say, we need some definite information.

Reply to
Bob H