Anyone know where this house is?

The road looks like it goes through the house.

It is hard to tell if it is a road or just his driveway.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Based on the size of the home I think it is a driveway. Someplace expensive would be my guess.

Reply to
Colbyt

In the mountain foothills of Colorado there are homes built right up next to a narrow road. It is like driving thru their back yard ! I haven't seen any that were "bridged" over the road like the picture, but I would not be surprised if there are some out there.

Reply to
Reed

There must be a door in the concrete foundation to the right of the driveway. Otherwise, one might have to carry groceries a long way up the external steps in the rain.

The window under the peak at the right looks narrow and well above the deck. In the wilderness one might not want windows that were easy to climb through. The section over the drive provides a carport and gives the owner a picture window that's not accessible from outside. It could be that the best view from the house is along the driveway. If it's an east window, it could mean a warm, cheerful place for breakfast.

In addition, the owner gets the concrete storage space to the left, probably protected by a steel door.

Reply to
J Burns

I think there's a lake to the left and he has his boat and boat supplies in that part.

I"m not sure this is a driveway. It may be the road and there is a driveway out of sight that goes to a higher floor and to a garage

Reply to
mm

All the newer rest stops on the Ohio Turnpike have an entire lounge for truck drivers. The include a living room with couches and TV, several shower rooms, a laundry, and I think a mini kitchen.

They are located towards the back of each building past the vending machines. Check them out next time, they are pretty nice. You can look in the glass windows. The building floor diagram is posted near them, which shows all the room layouts.

Reply to
DT

Sort of like the zoo!

I'll do that. Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Somebody paid to pave the road but not to make it wide enough for an oncoming vehicle to pass. That led me to believe the road serves only one household.

The deck appears to be 20 feet higher than the road. It would take a long, steep loop for the road to climb that far. If the house was built for vehicle access at that level, I assumed the road would have come in at a higher level.

I wonder if the road leads to parking behind the house. That sounds great for security. The burglar can't see if any cars are there without driving under the picture window, where residents or cameras could make a record of his vehicle and registration plate; a burglar could be especially self-conscious if he has passed a NO TRESPASSING sign.

Without seeing the parking area, a burglar can't tell if the place looks empty, can't study the patterns of residents, and can't see if there's a vehicle he might want to break into. If the accessible windows are very narrow and he can't get a vehicle up to the deck, that could make a possible burglary look like too much danger and trouble.

Reply to
J Burns

I should look again but no time right now. I thought of how wide it was and I'm not sure it's not it's not wide enough to pass.

All true.

Reply to
mm

That is, some surprisingly narrow roads will allow two cars to pass each other.

Reply to
mm

Don't forget the hatch in the bridge part, where the homeowners can pour boiling oil on the intruders, or rain arrows down on them.

Neat looking house, but I wouldn't wanna move furniture in and out of it.

Reply to
aemeijers

I'd almost buy this theory. I've seen plenty of lakes with one-lane roads around them, and some split lots with houses on the uphill side away from the water. Most started out as private roads, but some were taken over by the counties involved when the initial developer and/or HOA went belly up, and somebody with clout decided they didn't wanna drive out to the big road to get their mail, or have to walk out when it snowed.

Reply to
aemeijers

That's what servants are for.

Or at least delivery men and moving men.

Reply to
mm

My uncle didn't spend many hours away from his farm. In the 1950s somebody backed in with a truck and crates and took hundreds of chickens from a barn a hundred feet from his house, then phoned to ask if he wanted to buy chickens.

His parking area was in plain view of the road, and his house was visible on three sides. A chicken thief could be confident that nobody was home to phone the police or come out with a shotgun.

By contrast, a few years ago there was a mobile home a couple of miles away that reminded me of a fortress. I didn't know if it was abandoned. The side facing the road had a stoop, a door, and two high, small windows. After dark, the absence of visible lighted windows wouldn't have meant nobody was home.

I couldn't see what was behind it. Foliage kept me from seeing past one end, and underpinning kept me from seeing under it. A narrow dirt driveway lay between the other end and more foliage. There seemed to be a parking area behind, but I couldn't see much of it. For all I knew, the driveway led to a colony of mobile homes.

If I'd been a chicken thief, I would have looked for a joint that was easier to case.

Reply to
J Burns

Arial views readily available over the internet would answer the "colony" question. While not realtime, they can offer some hints on where to go to get a better view.

Fake ID

The image quality is very poor but those trees look to be eucalyptus. Given that, the location might be Southern California but more likely is Australia.

It appears to be a public road going under the house, not a driveway, because there is not even a parking pad at the bottom of the stairs.

Una

Reply to
Una

This is a snapshot from an American made adult film, "Fatal Passion (1988)". Given that much, that would make it more likely Southern California would be the correct guess.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I don't think the orgy is still going on. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Even if the picture was used in a American made movie, it could be a stock image and not located anywhere near where film was supposed to be situated.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't think detailed aerial photos were available before it was removed in 2001.

In 1998, whisper-quiet ultralights began coming over my house at treetop level. Something in my neighborhood seemed to interest them because they would turn around nearby and come back over my house. Pilots would wave to me. When I asked a local ultralight pilot who they were, he seemed to know but seemed suspicious that I asked.

Friends recognized one of the treetop ultralights. They said it was "that gang across the street." Across the street from them was a hay field 300 yards deep. At the back of the field was the back of the lot with the mobile home.

More than once a month, we used to hear large-caliber rapid firing during the morning. A neighbor said it sounded like a 50-caliber machine gun. It was about 250 rounds per minute. I didn't know if a 50 would fire that slowly.

The people who had identified the ultralight said the shooting came from the gang across the street. They didn't identify the address, but I was curious because the local phone book showed three sequential phone numbers for three people at that mobile home. They were cell phones. In those days I think it was exceptional for cell phones to be in the book. They continued to be listed at that address during the years that the lot was vacant.

The county provided an aerial photo in 2005. The mobile home had been replaced with another one 75 feet long. Trees and bushes that had blocked the view from the road had been removed. The small house next door was 15 feet away. The area behind both houses, about 30 x 50 yards, looked like a parking lot that had formerly been screened from the road. When the photo was taken, 15 cars were present.

A hundred yards away, in a corner of the hayfield out of sight from any road, was a dwelling with 4 cars. They must not have driven there often, for there was no driveway or beaten path. There were probably other dwellings in the vicinity which, without signs of vehicular access, could not be identified from the air. In the 1990s, apparently the mobile home and the foliage were used to hide the parking lot for residents of the stealthy dwellings.

Reply to
J Burns