[OT] Prius bashing

And you think a Marina a good alterative to a Minor?

The Minor was a classic design in its day. Part of the UK's motoring history. The Marina a poor attempt to make a Cortina competitor to capture part of the fleet market.

People usually want a classic car not because it's better than a modern one but because it has charm and gives pleasure. The Marina simply doesn't fit this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wow! He thinks that's wit. Gosh.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That reminds me - need to find a grease gun from 'somewhere'. Asked at the 'tool store' on the market today - but got blank looks

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I didn't say that, but if you want an up dated Minor the Marina does fit the bill - if you want a classic British motor car then you will be happy with an *unmodified* Minor and drive it accordingly. I'm not such a stickler for originality, for example I do see the sense in fitting disc brakes and or a servo, I can even see the rational in converting it to twin carbs but do draw the line at changing engines, gearboxes or axles and certainly not fitting an engine etc. that would not have been available to the factory at the time.

So why then bugger about with a classic design then, and not buy another classic car with better performance?

Reply to
:Jerry:

I've got one. No! It's mine! Needed for the joints on the A35 - not my joints! Seriously, do you have freecycle web over there? you might be able to get one that way.

Reply to
clot

:Jerry:

Still have in the A35 as well as a Krooklok to clout the starting motor into motion!

Reply to
clot

paid a £5 or about at that time!

Reply to
clot

I did take a look (we did a lot of freecycling to get rid of 'stuff' before we left the UK - so I'm familiar with the idea).

There's a Cork City freecycle - but it doesn't seem to 'stretch' out here to the back of beyond . I've signed up anyway and will see what geographical range the group covers - you never know....

I'll have to ask around - there's one local car spares shop, but it's got more pretty lights and big chrome tubes to go round your exhaust rather than 'useful' car tools....

If all else fails CPC stock a couple - and they will deliver out here (though the last order from them came, mysteriously, via an airport in Germany....!)

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Trouble is - Screwfix can't be bothered to deliver out here to Ireland

- so they won't be getting my money !

Thanks anyway Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Horses for courses, comes down to what you're used to.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Do that to many a modern design of starter motor and it will never work again!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Sadly, though I work with people in offices in Cork, I'm not familiar with the area. Do you still see old Fergusson, Marshall or Fordson tractors about. I'll bet their owners have grease guns.

Reply to
clot

True, but it would take up more space in my toolbox than the existing grease gun. I think this toolbox is a WWII munitions box!

Reply to
clot

That made me smile! But seriously , when did you last have to thump a starting motor - I mean a "modern car"?

Reply to
clot

We're out in the far South-West - about an hour and 45 years away from Cork City - it's great !

Good thought - one of our neighbours is into old machinery - I'll bet that he knows where to get a grease gun !

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

A pleasure. I just hope it works out for you.

Reply to
clot

In may work, if they were 'thumpable', quite often...

Reply to
:Jerry:

The 1275 engine was concurrent with Minor production. And changing the axle ratio makes sense for today's roads - unless you intend keeping clear of motorways. I changed the axle ratio on my '54 Magnette in the '60s for this very reason. At one time people placed a greater emphasis on top gear performance than they do now.

Some advocate fitting other makes of engine. I don't. The 1275 is simply a later version of the A Series and perfectly in keeping.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)