Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

I need a spanner like this:

is I would like it this weekend!

Can anybody tell me if any of the "sheds" sell them, please?

Vortex5

Err...I'm guessing you don't have a TS near you then ?

Motor Factors or Car Accessory shops/Halfords might have open ended Spanners/Ring Keys in those sizes which is more likely what they will know them as .Problem might be in getting one with the two sizes on the one spanner .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

This is a job for an ordinary or ring spanner and an

ANGLE GRINDER.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You swine, you beat me to it.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

First one of the year, wll done that man!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't know, but they look really useful - I'm going to order one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Vortex5 wibbled on Saturday 02 January 2010 17:10

If you are anywhere near Robertsbridge, East Sussex, you're welcome to borrow mine (seriously, email addy valid).

But no, I haven't seen them in B&Q or Homobase or Wickes.

Reply to
Tim W

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Saturday 02 January 2010 18:06

Beware. They only fit a certain selection of nuts. They don't fit 15mm nuts on Peglar full bore valves - those nuts are bigger.

For other jobs, I use a pair of slimline high quality adjustable spanners.

Reply to
Tim W

Tim,

Thanks for the kind offer.

Immediate pressure is off now and I have ordered one.

Vortex5

For the record I am in the process of implementing a major domestic heating upgrade (thermal store) and have used lots of those nice interlocking pipe clips that allow you to run parallel pipes very close to one another.

Problem is that this clipping technology looks great but makes any compression joint utterly inaccessible. Example here:

the need for one of these funky spanners. Today's leak was entirely due to incompetence on my part but now I want to check every nut before "going live".

Vortex5

Spoken like a true pro :-) Looks like the angle grinder has survived into 2010 then. That is the second called for use of it in DIY :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nice job that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wibbled on Saturday 02 January 2010 23:08

Seconded - nothing like a bit of neatly done copper.

Reply to
Tim W

Thanks,

To many people it seems rather perverse but I love plumbing.

Work in progress as of yesterday afternoon is here:

fannying about with heating systems in frosty weather is potentially very disruptive and unpopular with the family.....hence the Hep20 lashup to keep the house warm.

Next stage is to remove all the old controls and plumbing (the white bits) reroute the boiler connections, slide in and connect the thermal store. The primary circuit will ultimately be about 600 litres capacity.....and I really do not want to have to drain it down in the worst case scenario to fix a leak, so I need to take my time.

If I had one of these spanners I could potentially have finished today....but will have to defer a week because I have a "proper" job to go to tomorrow. Ho hum.

Vortex5

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Only for a clot. The wall strength of a cut ring spanner is shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bends. Looks a very good job. Congrats.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bends.

Thermal store will be pushed into that corner.

My goal has been to have zero inaccessible joints. This won't be 100% true because the 90 degree boiler primary corner will need to use solder fittings...I have no 28mm bender (yet)

Vortex5

It looks fine is is very neat.Well done

Can I ask why you dislike soldered joints? I prefer them over a compression joint anyday.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

BTW, could you let me know what the spanner is like when it arrives?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman