OT: Print yourself postage labels.

Can you get them the same size as the labels that both the PO and hermes seem to use? And have a printer prog that prints to that from the PDF - which is different between PO and Hermes?

If you have to cut down from A4, you might as well just stick to paper. Unless doing lots and lots.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Ok. Suppose I could easily check next time I use a locker to send with Hermes. See if it reads the barcode OK through sellotape. Do two labels one back one front with one covered in tape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I would never consider using Hermes, but Label Planet do labels specifically for use with Royal Mail Click & Drop.

If that is a problem, Royal Mail will bring a printed label with them when they collect from you, or you can take the QR code to a post office and have it printed there when you hand the item over.

Reply to
nightjar

Approx 10p a sheet (purchased in 100s) but it does save a lot of hassle.

I used to use plain paper and Sellotape but I was always worried that just sticking down at the edges still left the bulk of the label in the middle unstuck which could have been caught on something and torn off.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't even change the printer settings on my laser.

Reply to
alan_m

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com wrote

Sure, but a blind person who wants to avoid having to have a sighted person read the lateral flow test can obviously get one and Brian already has one.

Reply to
John Brown

Andrew expressed precisely :

Very few people do not.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

One in three of the over 65s don't.

nightjar

I am one of the few who will never give up his Nokia 1100 ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I did not but *had* to get one for the purposes of receiving texts in an area with no mobile coverage.

3M were the only company offering PAYG *and* wifi calling (now called wifi direct).
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are both the same size here. Roughly 4 to an A4 sheet. Whatever that is in A terms.

I use Hermes through convenience. As a domestic user. They have a handy locker where I can drop off a parcel 24/7. Started using that with the pandemic as it's in the open air - and in a quiet location. Where you can also easily park for the time needed to drop it off - if too big to carry easily. But like all such things, depends on local circumstances.

Having to arrange my day around someone collecting zero use to me, I'm afraid. As is queueing up at the local post office.

I did glance at the site you gave, and self adhesive A4 seemed to be about

25p a sheet in the small quantity I'd ever use.

What this item was is an obselete NOS Crabtree rockergrid switch plate. Have quite a few left over from my wiring days. This particular type on Ebay for 2.99 free postage.

Ebay takes about 60p Postage about a quid. If I paid for a jiffy bag and a posh self adhesive label - or had to take it to the PO (rather than the box at the end of this road) it would make even less sense to sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I tend to put sellotape across the address leaving the barcode clear.

But not had a problem, so far.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The PDF the PO supplied was A4. Address label in one corner. A sort of proof of posting label at the bottom.

Hermes PDF has the post label in the middle.

I don't have a posh PDF programme. So no clue how I could make the printer just print the label from that PDF to an exact size sticky label.

And more to the point, would it be worth the bother for occasional use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

One of those things people put off until too late, and regret it.

I know one who was very technophobic. Until Covid came along. When he could no longer see his kids and grandkids in the flesh. And all of a sudden saw the benefits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Don't you only need an A5 label to actually stick on?

Pritt stick works very well for that purpose.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Four times the price of bog standard A6 (i.e. 4 to a sheet of A4) labels

Andy Burns

Indeed.

Yes, I had an address label peel off in transit, but fortunately there was info inside which enabled it to reach its destination.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I don't. They are just an expensive solution to a problem that never existed.

Reply to
Andrew

Not if you compare like for like. The Label Planet price for buying 100, is £25.50 including VAT and delivery. For Viking Direct, the VAT paid price for 100 is £10.79, but you have to pay £2.90 + VAT = £3.48 delivery, if you buy less than £30 worth of goods (ex VAT). So, about twice the price, but I know the adhesive on Label Planet products is reliable.

Reply to
nightjar

yes, 25 sheets of 4

no, 100 sheets of 4