OT postpersons

Like here do other parts of the UK have post persons in shorts all year round ?....is it a kind of competition as to who blinks first?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Yes and yes.

The local sorting office treats it as a competition to see who lasts longest.

And I was told by a postie the reason for it is if you get wet legs with shorts on a quick towel off and you are dry again.

Wet legs with long trousers on is a miserable existence (and colder than with shorts on).

Reply to
Chris B

I imagine the local dogs find naked leg much more attractive than one wrapped in cloth...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have no idea why its a think, but it seems to be quite recent. If all blokes suddenly started to wear short trousers though, you would soon not suffer from the cold in most situations. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Very true . Skin dries faster than any fabric. Cold isn't so much of a factor as their leg muscles are always working and so nice and toasty.

I feel when it gets stupid cold then there is a bit of "wearing long trousers then your a spazz", from other posties so there is a bit of pressure to keep shorts on even when it is very cold.

Reply to
soup

Reply to
soup

The Scots wore skirts for the same reason, probably copied from the Romans.

Reply to
jon

I wear travel gear all year (and have done since 1984). It is lightweight, warm and dries very fast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Still wearing shorts here (at least some of the men are).

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname