OT: Plane fuel

The Italians developed fuels made from plant oils, particularly oily herbs which grow well in their climate. The oregano-oil fuelled planes never got off the ground, but Mussolini made the trains run on thyme.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Er what?

How do you thi9nk the carbon got into fossil fuels in the first place?

From the atmosphere stoopid. Via plants.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well like the world beating greeks and man have 'just changed' eh? And the Aztecs and the Mayans.. now cleaning your hotel berdroom and making the bed.

just like they did from what they had before

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, but the body is mostly empty space and contributes little weight. Or lift. A little sure.

From a passenger point of view the body should be as big as possible for comfort. Apart from the drag the body is merely there to toe tey flying surfaces together at minimum weight.

The smallness of the wings is more about wing loading and top speed. Ideally they should be only just big enough to keep the plane in the air at cruise speed - as lots more wing area is wound out for takeoff and landing, and more area is more drag..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesn?t happen at anything like the rate at which we use them today.

Reply to
JHY

Nothing like in fact.

Nothing like in fact.

Reply to
JHY

I thought high aspect ratio wings (slim but long wings) were desired to provide more lift at relatively slower speeds (due to structural difficulties [1])and less induced drag(at the cost of increased parasitic drag). Even if they do reduce maneuverability (not a deal-breaker with commercial aircraft).

This high aspect ratio has been taken to extreme lengths in some of the modern sailplanes.

[1] It is "harder" to make high aspect ratio wings stiff enough for normal flight .

soup

Bloody hell!, do they come down at all?, must make "packing the hanger" a real awkward job!...

Reply to
tony sayer

But you can maybe envisage some sort of regenerative braking which would help a little. All that 1/2 mv^2 and mgh which took so much energy to attain is wasted.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

In-flight recharging by flying through thunderstorms is the answer.

Or using ultra-violet lasers to create an ionised path through the air to connect to grid lines.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

The 787 will do that as well before the wings break (but hopefully not just before landing)

CB

Brilliant!

Reply to
newshound

Only the brain dead have a hope the morons will come to realise it's all a load of codswallop?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Saw an old geyser in outback Australia with a truck he ran from charcoal burner. made his own charcoal too.

Reply to
F Murtz

On 05/08/2015 09:15, Nightjar There was also a nuclear ram jet engine tested, but leaving a trail of

As in Arthur Clarke's "Prelude to Space", which he says he wrote in 1947

- even though the first UK edition wasn't until 1953.

That was however for a more peaceful purpose - getting man to the moon. And the launch area was the Australian desert.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Really? By what route?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The problem with air transport isn't the MPG, it's the miles.

I've been to California twice in the last year on business. That's more than I've done in a car by a long way.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Next time you're near a modern airliner have a look at the wing sections. Inboard they are classic asymmetric airfoils, much more curved on top. Outboard they look to me to be close to the NACA 000x sections - symmetric laminar flow - and I suspect are doing nothing at cruise except get in the way.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They do more than just get in the way. That's why the approach of very long thin wings work for efficiency and the tip fences and winglets too.

Reply to
Blano