[OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

Wrote in assembler on PDP11/10... 34. BASIC and FORTRAN and RATFOR. Wrote libs for FORTRAN to call assem. Real Time RT-11 user applications AR11 i/o. Also ran "mini" unix, C compiler etc (Not at same time of course :-)

Reply to
dave

I want to put Mini UNIX on one of mine...the 11/23. I also have an 11/84,

11/03, and a Micro PDP-11 (deskside, if you have a bloody big desk).
Reply to
Bob Eager

Would now be the time to introduce:

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

They don't seem to believe in cutting edge technology (wonder why?). In Vancouver about 1987 a Reuters PDP8-S (a serial CPU, the ultimate in RISC) shared the air-conditioned room containing our DEC10 mainframes. Apparently used by top management who I think had some kind of printer upstairs in the rarefied heights of the building.

Reply to
Windmill

I did have the RIM loader memorised because I had to toggle it in so often on the switches of an old transistor/resistor/capacitor 'straight 8'.

Probably could have recognised CLA on a paper tape, but wouldn't have much luck with the rest. JMS I 17 ? 4417 maybe? No, I doubt it.

Reply to
Windmill

I was there from 72-75 as an undergraduate. I was up the other end of the Natural Sciences intake spectrum. I initially signed up for Electronics but changed to Computing and Cybernetics at the end of the first year. I vaguely remember someone called Hugh in Eliot College but I think he was a mathematician.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Did you know Tony West? Now CTO at Cisco in San Jose.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, I don't recall that name. There was (is!) a Tony Jeffree and I am still in touch with him. Living in the college environment you tended to know the group of people in the same college, meeting over meals and in the college socially and a second group on your course - I think there were less than 20 on my course.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think he was the year before you; there were about four. Still in contact with him and one other, although I was doing Electronics at the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do hope you get mini unix up 'n running. I still have the letter from Brian Kernighan during the days of paper mail (:-)) where he gave me contact info. for getting the software (academic use). Alas I do not have the magtape it was distributed on... but I guess is avaiable online - unless Bell Labs say no of course :-)

Reply to
dave

The same time, then.

Did you know John Scherrer? He was doing electronics at the same time as you were. (Well done to his son, Jonathan, who has just got a First in Computer Science at UKC!)

I did Biochemistry, but as I said, spent way too much time in the Computing Lab and shared a house with Alan Ibbotson, who you may have known. I was also vaguely involved with the Amateur Radio club and UKC Radio.

Not me, I was in Keynes.

Reply to
Huge

Why do you want to run Mini-Unix? We ran Unix versions 5 and 6 on a pdp-11/23 for several years, with 7 users and a printer. I always thought the 11/23 was the best computer ever made.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

And I gave mine away. [Sob]

Reply to
Huge

Indeed he has....as I heard last week (decision day was last Friday).

John later became our site engineer for the ICL 2960 mainframe.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have the magtape image here.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine doesn't have the memory management option chip.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've got a cheque for $2.56 from Donald Knuth for finding some mistakes in one of his text books.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Nothing like that, but I once met Edsger Dijkstra!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did get it running on a PDP-11/20 once...

Reply to
Bob Eager

And did you ask him how he pronounces his name? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm