[OT] PDP-11 programmer wanted?

I seem to remember there were a few PDP-11 fans on here...
Fancy a job? :-)
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?37827-Greetings-from-GE-Canada
http://goo.gl/177Iv
Darren
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:01:30 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

from-GE-Canada

Some students posted this on my FaceBook group and suggested I could do it!

Make sure your 3rd party liability insurance is up to date ;-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 18/06/13 20:01, D.M.Chapman wrote:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?37827-Greetings-from-GE-Canada

Golly. I used to write C on one of those..
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:45:20 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

from-GE-Canada

C ? Pah! I started on them in assembler, but did hand assembly at times. Not to mention compilers for a couple of languages...
And I have four PDP-11s right here anyway.

If you're going to write assembler for the PDP-11, then I can recommend this language:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL-11>
--
Tim

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:59:50 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

Greetings-

Yup, seen that. Although I can write it really fast anyway!
That was inspired by PL-360, and I designed a similar one for another architecture - PL-516. The Honeywell 16 series were quite common at the time.

Indeed. Twas I that ported it to the 168 in 1978 (Bob Russell had left CERN by then). I was able to write a bootstrapper for booting PDP-11s over data links at the time. That *was* fun.
--
Tim

Tim Streater wrote:

Mid 70s saw me programming PDP11 with ML/1 studying under its Author Peter Brown and his wife Heather at University of Kent. I'll still have my notes - "somewhere"
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:10:01 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Greetings-

Not another one! I didn't know/remember that. As for notes:
http://www.ml1.org.uk
Peter died a few years ago but Heather is retired and living in Devon.

I'm not sure if we've had this conversation before, but we may have been contemporaneous at UKC - I graduated in 1975 and spent far too much time in the Computing Lab and nothing like enough in the Biology Lab, which accounts for both the class of my degree and my current career. Prof. Brown took my undergrad computing course, which was optional and designed for people who already knew how to program. (I'd learned FORTRAN at school.)
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 24th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
RIP Iain M Banks, 16 February 1954 – 9 June 2013
On 19/06/2013 11:45, Huge wrote:

Well, as Bob said it was my son who went to UKC, not me,but the rest of that fits pretty well.
Learning about Android from the inside now.
Andy
Huge wrote:

I was there from 72-75 as an undergraduate. I was up the other end of the Natural Sciences intake spectrum. I initially signed up for Electronics but changed to Computing and Cybernetics at the end of the first year. I vaguely remember someone called Hugh in Eliot College but I think he was a mathematician.
Bob
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:56:45 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Greetings-

Did you know Tony West? Now CTO at Cisco in San Jose.
Bob Eager wrote:

No, I don't recall that name. There was (is!) a Tony Jeffree and I am still in touch with him. Living in the college environment you tended to know the group of people in the same college, meeting over meals and in the college socially and a second group on your course - I think there were less than 20 on my course.
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:52:37 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

I think he was the year before you; there were about four. Still in contact with him and one other, although I was doing Electronics at the time.

The same time, then.

Did you know John Scherrer? He was doing electronics at the same time as you were. (Well done to his son, Jonathan, who has just got a First in Computer Science at UKC!)

I did Biochemistry, but as I said, spent way too much time in the Computing Lab and shared a house with Alan Ibbotson, who you may have known. I was also vaguely involved with the Amateur Radio club and UKC Radio.

Not me, I was in Keynes.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 26th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3179
RIP James Joseph Gandolfini, Jr. (September 18, 1961 – June 19, 2013)
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:57:15 +0000, Huge wrote:

Indeed he has....as I heard last week (decision day was last Friday).
John later became our site engineer for the ICL 2960 mainframe.
Bob Eager wrote:

Back in the day, the campus computing power was an ICL 4130 with a PDP11 bolted on the front running interactive BASIC to 8 (or was it 10) Teletypes scattered across the campus. The system was known as KOS - (Kent Online System) and I think a clone of it was also run at Reading too.
Bob
According to Google, York also ran KOS
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:42:26 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

They did. And Lancaster, Aberystwyth, and a couple of others.
It was however developed at Kent by Peter Brown, Heather Brown, Steve Binns and Brian Spratt. I started using it in January 1971, but by June I had stolen the source code. I got the hardware specs from ICL over the summer and hacked rather a lot of it the following year...
The first hack was setting a bit in the multiplexer status word for a terminal - which logged it out, allowing someone else to use it!