OT ... PC upgrade

What exactly did I get wrong? You will have to be specific as I don't see where I was wrong so its up to you to inform.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks, I see now, not that I will remember next time.

Reply to
dennis

Well its identical, bit for bit.

But if its GPL I can supply the same builds. Its the additional stuff people pay for and it isn't GPLed. That is its not free software.

Reply to
dennis

"By issuing licences" Unless they use American "English"

Reply to
John Williamson

Interleaf was around a long time before Framemaker, maybe 10 years.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You say that. Trust in one's supplier is an important part of the relationship, and people may well not trust you.

No, it really isn't. The bit we pay for isn't the non-GPL extras, it's the fact the OS is certified to run with the other software we use.

Reply to
Clive George

Yes he did. However it is clear that you don't understand it or you would not have made the claim that you did.

Perhaps you could now try to quote the part of the GPL that would give you the right to do what you claim? Here's a hint, the part quoted by Bob is not it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If that is really the reason you are wasting money. You can download identical software with the same bugs in. Do you really think the certification is of any real value? Does it get you damages if it doesn't actually work?

Reply to
dennis

I can't say that i care. read the FAQ on the GPL site if you want to know. IANAL and don't claim to be. I d know I can redistribute the software for any price I like including free. I can also use it for free if I want.

Reply to
dennis

No.

Maybe.

Yes.

Nope, but it does get us support. I can say to a vendor "This isn't working", and rather than them saying "Sorry, you're running DennisOS, bugger off and come back when you've demonstrated it's not working on a system we actually support", they help us. That is real value.

Isn't this all blindingly obvious, especially to somebody who's had any exposure to corporate IT?

Reply to
Clive George

It is, you are not paying for the free software at all, you are paying for support. As i said there is no money in free software, there maybe in additions to that.

Anyway as its not DennisOS, its the same OS that you are paying for, you should get support on any significant bug you find. Of course you may not be able to actually find the bug and then you have to pay for or have already paid for help. Most people are better off paying if there is a problem rather than "insuring" against it.

Reply to
dennis

Your admission that you cannot find a section of the GPL that supports your claim noted.

I don't need to read it. You however do.

Yet you are claiming to know that you have rights in law that you do not have.

That's a misunderstanding of the GPL.

Heck you could grow a pair and admit that you are wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, I'm not paying for support - it's explicitly excluded. I could pay more for support for the OS, but don't need it.

The support I am paying for is for application software, not the OS.

No. The certified product means they don't need to waste time on stuff they don't know.

Which is what we do with the OS.

The application software is commercially licensed - there's no "no support" option, if you're allowed to use the software they will provide support for it.

Have you understood the difference between application software and the OS yet?

Reply to
Clive George

The real time patch support is somewhat harder to concoct yourself. RH will actively push out security patches etc to enterprise customers several times a day if required. Its a service worth paying the not insignificant fees for if one values the reliability of ones servers, and have better things to do all day that watch for vulnerability reports and develop patches.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, you said "There is no money in linux or other free software".

Why would you expect RH to support your build of software. How would they know its even comparable?

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , "dennis@home" writes

So it wasn't the spell checker, you were wrong, weren't you

A simple "Yes" will do

Reply to
geoff

Is it gpl or not! There is no difference between OS and applications made by gpl.

Reply to
dennis

One of the additions RH put into their services.

Reply to
dennis

And that differs in what significant way?

Well *if* RH were gpl it would be the same OS. Why wouldn't they be interested in bugs from any user?

Reply to
dennis

Everyone is permitted to be wrong.

Define "that time". The Mac was faster, much faster than the IBM PC and PC XT that were its contemporaries.

That's a bizarre take on history.

No, it didn't go bust. It got close but it did not go bust.

No, what turned it around was the iMac and the iPod.

Yes, Android is crap but it's given away to manufacturers and they can't have iOS. Does any one phone maker, other than Apple, have 20% of the market?

I'm sure that you are trying to make a point, but it's so incoherent I can't work out what you intended to say.

That would be MS Word, developed for the Mac, Excel, developed for the Mac and Powerpoint, developed for the Mac and all later ported to Windows would it?

Reply to
Steve Firth