OT ... PC upgrade

Everyone is permitted to be wrong.

Define "that time". The Mac was faster, much faster than the IBM PC and PC XT that were its contemporaries.

That's a bizarre take on history.

No, it didn't go bust. It got close but it did not go bust.

No, what turned it around was the iMac and the iPod.

Yes, Android is crap but it's given away to manufacturers and they can't have iOS. Does any one phone maker, other than Apple, have 20% of the market?

I'm sure that you are trying to make a point, but it's so incoherent I can't work out what you intended to say.

That would be MS Word, developed for the Mac, Excel, developed for the Mac and Powerpoint, developed for the Mac and all later ported to Windows would it?
Add pictures here
✖

Ricky baby, go buy WTH you like. For the rest of us:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com /
As all my apps are MS windows apps .... don't want to switch to a non-compatible OS and start again.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 1, 11:26 pm, "Rick Hughes"

Fairy Nuff. Some people lose sight of the fact that freedom cost many lives. It's the only reason I hate the philosophy of Microsoft. I don't dislike the product.
Add pictures here
✖
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Been using it as primary desktop for a coule of years now.
Nearly all 'issues' have been resolved by updates. Its fast and clean and only rarely gets into issues - and that's generally badly written apps, not the OS.
I run Virtualbox with a gash copy of XP in it for some CAD stuff that needs windows.
I use Debian because its several notches behind the bleeding edge. I don't want latest and greatest, I just want a boring computer that works.
I was a computer professional for too long to be that interested in playing with a computer for its own sake.

I dont see the point really. Just download and burn a live DVD if you want to try...
If you like it ENIUGH make it your primary OS and stick anything windows-ish on a dual boot (for gamming speeds) or a virtual machine (anything else)

I am sure office libre or open office have books. For simple stuff the file formats are compatible.

Add pictures here
✖

because they can, just like M$.

I put it on a stick, there are instructions about.
Add pictures here
✖
dennis@home wrote:

why would I want to?
This computer is pure native Linux and always has been. I switched off the Windoze PC once I had a windows virtual machine for the two programs I need windows for.
Add pictures here
✖

So you can take it with you.. no need to use windows/office even if its someone else's computer.
Add pictures here
✖

£20!!! Just download it for free. Or if it's really, really difficult then you can get free Ubuntu CDs if you ask.

--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
✖
On 31/10/2011 22:10, Rick Hughes wrote:

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_32_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx
Used them several times. I don't think they do any checking up at all. Old Farts like me who belong to U3A qualify for Microsoft products and you get the activation code with the box, or online if you download.
But for Adobe products you only get a "coupon code" and the 30-day trial product. You then have to send Adobe proof of genuine academic status - student photo-card or letter of employment + current payslip - from an accredited educational establishment. Only then will Adobe send you an activation code.
--
Reentrant

Add pictures here
✖

Oh, I joined that a couple of weeks back. So I can get Microsoft cheap eh?
Wow, that changes everything.

Add pictures here
✖
On 01/11/2011 11:01, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Yes, no problem. If your particular U3A branch doesn't appear in the dropdown list when you order, click the Bromley (BR1 postcode) national office.
--
Reentrant

Add pictures here
✖
On 01/11/2011 11:01, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Yes it does :)
Forget about having to sire kids to gain microsoft discounts, all ye now have to do is have the friendly mother-in-law gain residence in your abode and pack her off daily to the University of the 3rd Age!
Sweet.
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
✖
Rick Hughes wrote:

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...
I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...
The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7 is off the radar!
[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.
[2] This'll be the sad, sad day when I can't get drivers that work in XP :-(
--
Scott

✖

So you're happy to carry on running a pirated copy of Windows or an inferior OS such as Linux?

Your ignorance is showing. W7 is far superior to Vista any day.

You can turn off the graphics in W7 as well.

I find W7 is more compatible with my old hardware than Vista ever was.
--
Hugh

Add pictures here
✖
Hugh Jampton wrote:

Funnily enough I was given a free copy of Win 7 this morning. Currently trying to remove it from the Netbook it came with. Free because there was a case a while ago where someone wanted a refund because he didn't want the OS with a laptop. It was granted but them M$ changed the wording so it's not possible any more.

I know. I tried it a while ago on a W7 PC but the colour scheme your left with for the task bar text is almost unreadable and it can't be changed. Not really a solution.
--
Scott

✖
On 01/11/2011 11:14, Hugh Jampton wrote:

I managed to go straight from XP to 7 which is quite user friendly if you spend enough time googling how to get it to work your way instead of how some idiot at M$ thinks you out to use it.
There are however some issues with some software and the 64 bit version of W7 (which I have) not liking each other.
Add pictures here
✖

But you later say you're running XP?

I was extremely glad my laptop came with a free upgrade to Win7 from Vista. My desktop was running XP. Now Win7 which I prefer to XP. But have kept XP on another partition.
Think you're the very first person I've heard admitting to liking Vista.
--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

✖
On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:40:26 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Met many ME users :) ?
Add pictures here
✖

WinME!!! Aargh! The devil's cul-de-sac of operating systems. Replaced it with Win2K and never had any bother after that (until I bought a new graphics card and had to upgrade to XP, which is also trouble- free).
And Win 7 is considerably better than Fista.
-- Halmyre
Add pictures here
✖
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, I just hate it less than Win7! They've changed the fundamentals just for the sake of it which, to me, is a pain. To me an OS is something that looks after the mouse and keyboard, not something to "surprise and delight" me with endless pointless graphic things; sliding menus, see-through menu bars in a vain attempt to emulate Macs.
--
Scott

✖