OT ... PC upgrade

Carrying out upgrade so it has an element of diy :-)
PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed) If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150
However .. I can buy the student version for £59 .. http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_32_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx
It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?
How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?
Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?
Add pictures here
✖
Rick Hughes wrote:

no, once you've got it you keep it.

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address
Add pictures here
✖

Sorry Andy, but thats not correct, see the conditions pasted from their website. In particular 2.
The Key Facts About Eligibility.
1. All School, College, University students and their family members are eligible!
2.No Student ID required for Microsoft Software*:As an Official Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond academic email address holders so that any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a pupil or student.
*All licensees' must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or their parents or guardians)
Add pictures here
✖

Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model of PC first.
A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate for his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the manufacturers website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Why ever not?..
He must have had a very low spec PC then?..

--
Tony Sayer

✖
tony sayer wrote:

More likely weird hardware with no w7 driver support.

Add pictures here
✖

I can give an example. My Gateway laptop (four years old) is a Vista machine but cannot be upgraded to Win 7 as there are no drivers for either USB or the audio. Fortunately Vista has behaved itself and I have no need to upgrade.
--
Tinkerer

Add pictures here
✖

already run Microsoft windows 7 check tool ... apart from one app all OK
Add pictures here
✖
johno wrote:

OK, perhaps not fo that particular promotion (I didn't visit the page) but certainly has been for other ones they've run ...
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer /
Add pictures here
✖

Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model of PC first.
A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate for his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the manufacturers website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:10:48 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will stand stance. Of course it might be cross subsidised on the basis of getting children and families hooked on MS products early means they make more sales overall, as machines are upgraded etc.
All you need is a family member in fulltime education. IIRC the licence you get allows the software to be loaded on up to three machines simultaneously but as this is MS read the small print...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:22:36 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yup, use it a lot. Two kifs in full time education and two parents teaching....
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 31/10/2011 23:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:

How much did you think a mass produced CD and case cost to make then? ;-)

That will have a large part to play. As will the deals they will do with large OEM, or less than copyright friendly nations to sell their product at almost any cost if it means maintaining the whole eco system and keeping users aware from competitive products.

It varies with the package. There are signs that they are starting to soften a little on the home user in general...
--
Cheers,

John.

✖

About 10p for the disk and about 15p for the case and inserts?
Add pictures here
✖

That is irrevlant ... that is production cost .... what you are paying for is development & right to use intellectual property
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/11/2011 13:50, Rick Hughes wrote:

Indeed. That was my point really, you can't accuse MS (or any other company) of a "rip off" in the conventional sense, since you are not in effect buying a physical thing with a tangible cost of sales (the value of the CD, packaging etc is negligible). They set pricing so as to generate a return on their investment.
--
Cheers,

John.

✖

That is the correct answer, the question wasn't about putting any particular content on the disk. For instance the cost for a linux distro is an additional 0p.

Add pictures here
✖
John Rumm wrote:

about 25p IIRC.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 31, 10:10 pm, "Rick Hughes"

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.
I bought a copy of XP students and teachers editions in 2001 or so. Nobody asked me which I was. (Both; till the day I die.)
Add pictures here
✖

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it + a 1 quid stick.
Add pictures here
✖