OT ... PC upgrade

Carrying out upgrade so it has an element of diy :-)

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed) If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..

even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

no, once you've got it you keep it.

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry Andy, but thats not correct, see the conditions pasted from their website. In particular 2.

The Key Facts About Eligibility.

  1. All School, College, University students and their family members are eligible!

2.No Student ID required for Microsoft Software*:As an Official Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond academic email address holders so that any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a pupil or student.

*All licensees' must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or their parents or guardians)
Reply to
johno

Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model of PC first.

A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate for his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the manufacturers website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model of PC first.

A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate for his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the manufacturers website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will stand stance. Of course it might be cross subsidised on the basis of getting children and families hooked on MS products early means they make more sales overall, as machines are upgraded etc.

All you need is a family member in fulltime education. IIRC the licence you get allows the software to be loaded on up to three machines simultaneously but as this is MS read the small print...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, use it a lot. Two kifs in full time education and two parents teaching....

Reply to
Bob Eager

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

I bought a copy of XP students and teachers editions in 2001 or so. Nobody asked me which I was. (Both; till the day I die.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In article , the_constructor scribeth thus

Why ever not?..

He must have had a very low spec PC then?..

Reply to
tony sayer

More likely weird hardware with no w7 driver support.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it + a 1 quid stick.

Reply to
dennis

OK, perhaps not fo that particular promotion (I didn't visit the page) but certainly has been for other ones they've run ...

Andy Burns

Used them several times. I don't think they do any checking up at all. Old Farts like me who belong to U3A qualify for Microsoft products and you get the activation code with the box, or online if you download.

But for Adobe products you only get a "coupon code" and the 30-day trial product. You then have to send Adobe proof of genuine academic status - student photo-card or letter of employment + current payslip - from an accredited educational establishment. Only then will Adobe send you an activation code.

Reply to
Reentrant

Dunno why anyone would charge for linux at all, unless its for support.

I just downloaded it and burned an installation DVD.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How did you like it?

I think that a finished product on a USB stick at 20 odd quid would be ideal for anyone lame enough to buy Windows at twice the price on a CD or DVD. I might get one myself.

Tesco were selling 4 GB sticks for a fiver but they are not large enough to hold Ultimate Ubuntu.

Of course you can get versions of linux that require less than 50 mb these days. I don't see the sense of those though.

The problem with Microsoft products is that the company reamed Tory B Liar when he asked them for help to ruin the country and now we have to have expensive computer taxation to make use of the "free" facilities in schools and libraries.

It is so bad that you can't find a book on the subject of office help in this country unless it is Microsoft Office.

That's not right is it?

Ricky baby, go buy WTH you like. For the rest of us:

Weatherlawyer

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...

The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7 is off the radar!

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin. [2] This'll be the sad, sad day when I can't get drivers that work in XP :-(
Reply to
Scott M

Oh, I joined that a couple of weeks back. So I can get Microsoft cheap eh?

Wow, that changes everything.

e the preces vary so much; anyone?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

because they can, just like M$.

I put it on a stick, there are instructions about.

Reply to
dennis

So you're happy to carry on running a pirated copy of Windows or an inferior OS such as Linux?

Your ignorance is showing. W7 is far superior to Vista any day.

You can turn off the graphics in W7 as well.

I find W7 is more compatible with my old hardware than Vista ever was.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

Yes, no problem. If your particular U3A branch doesn't appear in the dropdown list when you order, click the Bromley (BR1 postcode) national office.

Reply to
Reentrant