[OT] PC to Phone for SMS

I started using it "2 phones ago" when the software that came with my HTC phone was so poor that I was forced to look elsewhere.

Quite incredible how a single software developer, working in his spare time and unpaid, can outperform a development team working for a multi billion dollar company... ;-) He is also a very cooperative guy who is always happy to make changes/add/fix bugs (see the forum on his website).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Quite. I don't believe I'm unique, and when I find software as bad as the Kies stuff for the Samsung, I wonder if it was written by someone who never uses a computer. The ability to swap address books etc between totally different formats has been recognised since computers arrived. ;-)

The MPE software does exactly what Kies doesn't, and I immediately sent off a donation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just need to download the client from the Playstore, or does it work without the client on the phone?

Looked pretty comprehensive form my quick play but as I say the SMS interface is nicer on SMS Control Center. Now if MyPhoneExplore had a "bubble" conversation view...

Also good to hear that the developer is active and responsive. When ever I look at an app on the playstore the last update date is a key bit of information, much over 6 months ago it's probably "unsupported". Ofc ouse some software is mature, stable and pretty much bug free, bit of a judgement call...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Worked without downloading anything. Had to alter something in settings to get the USB port opened to the prog, though.

You want your lily gilded. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the client is required when using wi-fi (as I do).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes - for Wi-Fi. I initially plugged the phone in via USB as that's how I did it to access photos, etc, before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Follow " - When you plug in the phone choose 'Charge only'

- Ensure that 'USB debugging' is enabled on phone (Settings-Applications- Development or Settings-Developer options)

- In Android 4.2.2 and newer you have to unlock the USB-Debugging option first (Settings-About the phone-Build number -> tap 7 times on it)

- Ensure that the Debug-Interface-Drivers for your phone are installed (ADB-Drivers)"

I haven't even got as far as any debugging features or settings because I don't have a "charge only" option.

Any pointers on where to go from here?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Thankfully it works over WiFi!

Reply to
David

Use WiFi?

The press 7 time "hidden" menu is worth doing as you can turn of all the silly slow animation rubbish. And turn on little blobby thing that shows where the phone is detecting your touch.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All I actually needed to do was unlock the USB debugging on my S4. After that it worked. I suppose it is possible it downloaded something without my knowing though. It has a mind of its own.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)