OT PAYG mobile phone tarrifs

so will foil backed plaster board

Reply to
charles

Tesco. doesn't run out, I've had credit on mine for well over a year since the last top up.

Reply to
DJC

For me, Three's PAYG seemed like a no-brainer after paying 14p per text on Orange, and I got my number transferred to the new SIM without incident. Only trouble is, I invariably have no signal to speak of at home! Fortunately their In Touch app can use my wi-fi for texts (and allegedly calls) though I still use the land line for those.

As a newbie this mobile stuff is a bit of a learning curve. With data roaming off, I find I can can send a GMail with a file attachment from virtually anywhere for free, but public wi-fi won't accept Whatsapp messages. One way and another I just don't text any more

Reply to
stuart noble

Tell me about it. I am picking up a Samsung Galaxy 5 on Friday.

The most advanced phone I have ever owned is a Nokia C2-01!

One of the apprentices will have to show me how to use it.

Reply to
ARW

none of them run out if you use them (for an occasional outgoing call)

it's the policy applied if you just use them for incoming (or want them available for a once every 3 year emergency) that differs

Reply to
tim.....

don't you have grandchildren?

Reply to
charles

You'll have to be polite to him first

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Of course. But the question was about one which didn't time out. Or rather perhaps which takes the longest to do so.

I also have Tesco in the spare phone - which can go unused for many months. I do try to remember to make a call on it once in a while, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No.

Reply to
ARW

you know that

and I know that

but it isn't at all clear that all of the people answering the question, know that

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And it's for the odd use - such as last week when I left my mobile phone at home. I had my old phone in the glove box (with all the numbers I need) so I bought an O2 sim card topped it up with £10 and was able to call the office when needed (I was not working locally I was in Harrogate). Then 2 days later whilst working in Northampton EE must have had a network problem and I could not make or receive any calls (I could text) so the old phone got used again.

The cost of the calls is not important as I will almost certainly be calling someone who I work with and they will call me back. But a £10 top up a month is only just less than I pay for unlimited calls on my contract phone.

So I'll give Tescos a go.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

To all intents and purposes, it's a Google phone, so life is much easier if you donate your soul to them. Have a Gmail account and tick all the boxes saying Google has permission to do whatever it damned well likes! It will drive you crazy for a while, but after a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever managed without a smartphone.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's six months for Giffgaff. Any one of the following keeps the SIM alive:

- Make a chargeable call/text (ie not emergency services or 0800)

- Connect to the internet

- Receive at least 4 calls of more than 10 seconds

- Top up airtime credit

Airtime credit lasts indefinitely.

AFAIK *all* networks will cancel an inactive SIM after a certain time - this is an OFCOM requirement as the pool of numbers is limited.

Reply to
Reentrant

There are/were many PAYG deals where you put credit on the SIM and the credit disappeared after 30/31 days. These deals may be cheaper and advantageous for high usage PAYG customers but not advisable for low usage customers. Albeit a few years ago, when I was looking around for the best PAYG deal for my usage I had to change providers because my existing provider only had these cheaper time limited credit packages.

Reply to
alan_m

You snipped the bit where I more or less said that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll have to explain that to me, cos I didn't see it that way at all

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Tesco have some sort of bonus on topups where you get 2 (or 3?) times what you top up but the bonus is limited to 1 month. I only use the phone occasionally but possibly a lot of calls over a few days, in which case a top up all gets charged to the bonus minutes and the actual top-up value is unused for months. Which is how I have ended up with over £40 credit on a phone I often do not use for months.

Reply to
DJC

It was obviously clear enough to me, otherwise I'd have put it differently. Perhaps you would explain what you didn't understand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 and can be almost free if you post questions and answers in their forum often enough lol
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

They also took £20 of my data credit, citing lack of use. Never again.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield