OT: Pallet delivery services

I expect to need to shift one of these

from one UK address to another. Oen possibility might be a pallet delivery company but we don't have a fork lift at either end.

Do these companies use the sort of truck that carry their own FLT on the back so we could go 10m or so from 1 garage to the truck and a similar distance at the receiving end. Will they take their FLT over private ground (concrete block paver etc at our risk? The enclosure is designed to be picked up by a FLT so will the carriers still want it on a wooden pallet. Weight could end up being 400-500kg so not at all easy to manhandle to the kerbside.

An experience you can share would be welcome.

tia

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Some do, e.g.

Never used them myself ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I imagine that such service would be costly, if even available. Could you not use a pallet (Collis) truck or similar? Most man with van types have these. I think they are good for about 500kg but might need some manpower to shove around. Also you could repack/unpack some of the contents at both ends. HTH Nick

Reply to
Nick

The last one I watched brought a pallet truck (the manual pump handle type), and had a tail lift on the lorry. They seemed happy to drag the load off my neighbours drive, and down to the truck. (more than 10m)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bob,

I've shifted MANY things using pallet companies including some very difficult ones :)

Without exception I've found the drivers to be helpful and pleasant. As has been said they usually have a tail lift and a hand pump pallet truck. If the driver is approached in a friendly manner and possibly offered a cup of tea I see no issues! I once got them to shift a top heavy 'blacksmiths power hammer' weighing over a ton about 20 foot over deepish gravel at my last house. I had to lay a track of scaffold planks for the hand truck !!!

These days if I initiate a pallet move I use Speedshift (

) who are one of the few companies to offer 'half pallet' loads, which is a full sized pallet but less than 1 metre tall. Most of these companies use a 'hub' system - they have a local shifter at each end and use a long distance service between them. Nowadays I have the advantage (being retired) of usually being here which will be one of your issues as they usually cannot say exactly when they will collect, also I have a full size Hyster fork lift truck as I store lots of 'stuff' on pallets round the farm yard.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like my task should be quite doable. I'll give that company a call Andrew.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Blimey that is impressive!..