Could I freeze Organic Pure Cranberry Juice

Hi all, Have just received two 0.75Lbottles of Organic Pure Cranberry Juice 750 ML I ordered but I am alarmed to read on the rear of the bottle that it has to be used within 5 days on opening!.

I will not consume it that quick.

Would it be safe or possible to freeze it as ice cube size and store it that way?

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Mick. IOW.

Reply to
Mick IOW

Don't see why not. The 'use within X days of opening' things can often be treated somewhat liberally anyway. Best one I had was a jar of capers which said 'this jar contains 70 servings. Use within 2 days of opening'.

If you freeze it it probably won't keep for 5 open days after defrosting (cell membrane breakdown due to freezing), but I can't see a problem with consuming it an ice cube at a time.

It's worth thinking about the way in which things go bad - fruit juice will usually start to ferment, which is not harmful initially. So if it starts going fizzy it's a useful warning sign, but is still drinkable at that point.

(YMMV if you're elderly, infirm, a baby, or someone else with a reduced immune system where it isn't worth taking risks)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

And may be very beneficial under controlled conditions.

Cranberry wine for Xmas?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thank you both for replying, I will turn it into frozen ice cubes and see what happens. Mick.IOW.

Reply to
Mick IOW

Just bear in mind that if it's got a high sugar content, it may not actually freeze solid, as the sugar acts as an anti-freeze. If that turns out to be the case, then you might as well just put the whole container in the freezer and pour out what you need when you need it. It will last just as long as if it were actually frozen solid.

But it might freeze solid anyway, in which case Plan A is OK.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's only 150 ml a day. Hardly an extravagant amount of fruit juice.

Even I could drink that, and my idea of fruit consumption is a jammy doughnut.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog