OT Organic flow batteries

That would be why you get free 32A charging points fitted when you buy virtually any new electric car in the UK? Didn't you get your free one?

They work well over night then.

So they don't actually need a car to do that low a mileage.

They are usually used to get free electricity so that we can subsidise even more of their energy.

Because electric cars need another car to generate enough pollution to keep the greens happy?

Reply to
dennis

Nobody runs car batteries to depletion because you can't take electricity t o them in containers/buckets.

As there is noway of accurately knowing how much energy remains in a batter y, no-one runs their battery even close to depletion.

One never knows exactly how much power will be consumed on a "new" journey either. There are so many factors.

It even varies on a repeat journey.

I have never used a fast charger or needed to.

As a none owner of an electric car, how is it you're such an expert anyway?

Charging at home is far cheaper than petrol even on day rate price electric ity.

In Summer I charge on free electricity. In Winter, depending on weather, sometimes by night.

Plus there is no road tax.

Reply to
harry

I usually only use my other car for journeys out of range of the electric car.

Reply to
harry

With pump storage, the same water can be used over and over. The option exists of using natural underground water reservoirs . Ie, letting water run down a borehole to generate power.

Reply to
harry

The real facts are that adding storage and removing renewable energy would be the best thing for the grid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

runs car batteries to depletion because you can't take electricity to

Lets take a real world example. A friend of mine was coming over to see me in his leaf. He left home with a nearly full charge, to do what should have been a 40 mile journey. Normally he can *just* get here and back again on a single charge.

This time it was very cold, and he got stuck for an hour and a half in a traffic jam on a dual carriage way due to an accident. Since he needed to run heating for that time, that eat into his juice. When he got close to my place his car was telling him he had 10 miles of range. Then he found they were resurfacing our road, and he could not get into it from one end. Needed to detour of a few miles to go to the other end and come in that way. He finally pulled onto my drive with the car indicating 4 miles range remaining.

Now whether you know exactly what capacity remains or not does not really matter. Its not good for the stress levels to have the car saying

4 miles left when you have an unknown number of miles still to do, and nowhere handy to plug it in.

Indeed it does.

The significance being what exactly?

Others have, and rely on them, but many will try and charge at home most of the time.

Because I talk to people who do own them. People who still go out to work and have families and need to use their cars for day to day stuff, not retired keyboard warriors who just need a little jaunt to take the Mrs to the shops twice a week.

I have also wired up / moved charging points for them as well.

And charging in the car park at Lakeside now costs my mate with the leaf £12, that's not far cheaper than petrol (if at all).

Its not free - it cost you a significant capital cost to be able to collect this "free" electricity.

The whole scheme only works because you benefit from the existing CCGT power stations that buffer solar generation to make it usable in the first place, and subsidies collected from other energy users. A burden that falls most heavily on those for whom energy bills represent a significant portion of their income.

Are you seriously going to tell us that you would have bothered with your solar PV installation if it were not grid connected, and there were no FiT payments? Where the deal was, use the power when available, or not at all?

Free electricity at night huh? Full moon was it?

Yup, you keep convincing yourself.

Reply to
John Rumm

Even a closed system still needs some replenishment since some if lost to evaporation.

Which stations did you have in mind that do this?

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
harry

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

Reply to
harry

I know your story is a lie. Electric cars use zero power while stopped in traffic. It is one of their m ain benefits. And nobody sets off on an extreme range journey with less then full charge. And unless they know exactly where/how they are going to recharge, when hal f the available energy is used on a journey, they turn round and go home.

No-one would set out on such a journey anyway without pre-checks.

I always check distances on Google Maps for a new destination and try to as sess any hills by looking at a map.

The energy content/computer range calculation devices on electric cars are inaccurate. Too many assumptions are made. So the "four miles" is also cobblers.

All this means that you have to keep some "range" in hand when assessing an y extreme range journey.

One of the reasons I charge at home. They were all free or cheap card operated only a couple of years back. But that was always a dodgy inducement.

It's free. I get paid for it whether I use it myself or not.

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

Reply to
harry

Besides being a FIT thief, harry can't read either.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not if it's after lighting up time.

Reply to
charles

Lights, wipers, on board electronics, heater, etc.

Stop start IC engines don't use any more power than that either.

Maybe they need to make the trip and expect the ability to top up at the destination?

Your psychic abilities have yet to be proven.

Its called range anxiety and its why most people don't buy an electric car and those that do trust them so much they buy another car as well.

So its free to you but costs others more than if you got it free from the grid. Some odd definition of free.

Reply to
dennis

I can't work out if harry is an idiot or is just a compulsive liar like TNP.

Reply to
dennis

Like most things you "know", they are incorrect.

What do the heaters run on - Scotch mist?

40 miles is not an "extreme range journey" - its one that he knows his car will do on less than half a charge.

Which he did - he knew that he could recharge at my place when he got here.

So he runs out a few mile from home, wastes a few hours and does not get where he wanted to go?

Yup, I can see that would make perfect sense to someone like you.

What would you suggest, a survey of all the drivers likely to be using the same road to check if they are planning on having an accident?

Do you have the comprehension skills of a spanner? (no need to answer that, we know the answer).

He was coming here. The clue in the description was "friend" - you could perhaps infer from that, he has been here before!

Yup, it might have only be 1 or it might have been ten.

(he also has a (non Nissan approved) smartphone app that lets him interrogate all kinds of detail from the car that it won't tell you via its instrumentation, such as the actual battery state and the capacity remaining)

40 miles? Can I have a pint of whatever you are on harry?

Bait and switch, as I said.

Its free in the same way the gas I get from EDF is free - it just comes out of a hole in the ground.

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably so in harry's case. Scotch keeps him warm and in a mist.

More scotch.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd have said the really important use for oil/coal was in the production of polymers. And however good their recycling becomes, I can't see us managing without significant production anywhere in the forseeable future.

Reply to
newshound

ir main benefits.

o assess any hills by looking at a map.

are inaccurate.

g any extreme range journey.

It's a technical impossibility to determine the exact amount of energy rema ining in a battery. It's assessed indirectly by integrating voltage, current and time. Various assumptions are made. Which are often wrong. So any stupid "apps" are of no benefit at all. They can tell you where the nearest charge point is. But not whether it's in use, working or vandalised. I can see you are very credulous. Bamboozled by the sales bullshit.

Nobody uses the heater on an electric car on an extreme range journey. If i t's that cold, the battery performance will be affected as well.

Reply to
harry

It's an idea that has been mooted.

Reply to
harry

You seem to be wandering off at a tangential irrelevance.

You stated that "no-one runs their battery even close to depletion". I have given you one example of when this was untrue.

Had you have said that "EV owners will try to avoid situations where there run close to depletion", then I would have accepted your statement. But you stated categorically that it never happens.

I agree you can't do it precisely.

This makes the problem worse rather than better.

At some point the car will decide that it is not going to go any further and stop - its software will make this decision based on what its sensors are telling it about the charge state - knowing that it needs to maintain enough energy to protect the battery from damage, and keep the cars electronics and control systems operable. It will make that decision with some caution and err on the side of being over protective.

Whether it makes this decision at the perfectly optimal time or not, is again of little relevance - since you have still stopped, and are not going any further. Whining that there is still charge in the battery ain't going to help.

So prattling about the accuracy of the readings is just an attempt at obfuscation.

They are of great benefit since they tell you stuff you can't otherwise find out. Like what fault codes the car is reporting, or what the remaining battery health is - all stuff not disclosed by the internal instrumentation, and stuff the services centres are reluctant to hand out.

Not this one. Its just for car diagnostics, and some remote control / status reporting so you can see the state of charge when you are not physically in the car, and turn on the heater etc while its mains powered.

Odd how I can see through your bullshit so easily then.

Note also that these particular apps are not approved by or created by Nissan - and they don't promote them, so its seems a bit of a stretch to claim they are an exercise in marketing.

(in fact their service centres get the hump when owners use them to challenge any dodgy claims made by the service centre)

ok let's do subtitles for the "brain dead" as you would say:

"Nobody" again - every time you say it you know its going to be wrong.

This was not an extreme range journey - this was a short to mid range journey. A repeat journey that had been made many times before.

It was entirely reasonable to use the heater on a very cold day, when starting a short journey that should take 30 - 40 mins.

Even when you get stuck in traffic, you don't have an immediate indication that you will be stuck for an extended period of time.

Reply to
John Rumm