OT: Old Channel 4 dare program?

Does anyone remember the name of the Channel 4 program on about 15 years= ago where they paid =A3100 cash to random members of the public to do d= aring stuff? (Like swallowing spiders, having slime poured over them et= c)

-- =

A doctor held a stethoscope up to a man's chest. The man asks, "Doc, how= do I stand? " The doctor says, "That's what puzzles me!"

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, but I remember the one where they made kids sick by feeding them liqueur chocolates.

Reply to
Max Demian

That sounds amusing, what was that called?

-- =

A midget fortune-teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at lar= ge.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Googling "channel 4 kids liqueur chocolates" (without the quotes) give the following as the first result:

Max Demian

ROFL! Typical overreaction.

By the way the drink drive limit is crazy. Everyone reacts in different= ways and by different amounts to alcohol, so the only test should be to= see how fast your reactions are, not some silly percentage in your bloo= d. You could have a shit driver who is more dangerous on the road than = a good driver who's had a few drinks. If you have slow reactions alread= y, you should be allowed to drink less alcohol and drive.

-- =

Confucius say: "Man who sit on tack get point!"

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But an objective measurement is far easier to administer.

In your scenario you'd need a baseline reading for every driver in the country in order to judge whether they were impaired after drinking, plus judgement is undermined too, not just reaction time.

Reply to
Vidcapper

No idea sounds like they had been to see the old film The Magic Christian to me. There have been lots of shows much like that but of course you only need one accident to trash the whole series, like on The old Noel Edmunds lat late Breakfast Show.

I can see it now. Member of public eats spider and dies from an allergic reaction. I never knew you could be allergic to spiders...

There was an American show many years ago put on in there Saturday Morning slot for the kiddies on Anglia called Danger freaks. Some of the daft stuff that went on there in my view should have given the show an adult rating. If you are eating don't read this. A Japanese woman who pushed needles through her tongue, Blokes who lifted weights on fish hooks through the skin on their arms. Give me a break! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who remembers the Where there's Life episode where they gave the whole audience orange juice for free, but of course it had a laxative in it, so by the end there was an extremely long queue for the toilets. I gather Yorkshire Television got into trouble for that one. More recently there was a US game show called The Fear Factor which was mildly entertaining in a mindless kind of way? Would you eat a pigs snout? There were tasks to test confined spaces being trapped underwater hanging of the side of a moving truck and heights etc, but really once you had seen a couple it was pretty boring event here there were variations. The safety people did a good job though when people panicked or whatever. It was cleverly done. I was rather intrigued by the number of winpish blokes but full on girls in that. I did wonder if this had been artificially skewed to get the surprise factor. I could not stand the host though, he sounded like some clone of a DJ you love to hate. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes just the sort of thing I'd expect you to like. There was some odd gambling show called can do no can do in which stunt people were asked to attempt stuff but the players had to bet on the outcome of these. I think it was John Pertwee who hosted it, but it only lasted one series. There was one more recently very similar to this though. I think I preferred Treasure hunt as you got to see the backside of Anika Rice and her dropping from helicopters into the sea and there were completely stupid clues from an ex newsreader.

You could remake this on the cheap using body cams. However the big reason they had to shelve it was the cost of hiring a chopper and the insurance. A lot of tourist places did well out of the from that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There was I think a bbc program where they interviewed people with odd jobs. I guess it must have been made by blokes as most of the people in it were female. The truth behind. Human cannon Balls. You needed to be quite small but could only do it for a few months as there was a danger of the g forces damaging the leg or spine joints over time. Diving into a blazing swimming pool while alight. All about the stuff they smeared over their bodies and clothing to avoid burns. Female escapologist, all about ability to dislocate shoulders at will to get out of straight jackets There were others including one where there was a couple who did fire eating and sword swallowing and some kind of motorcycle stunt rider who seemed to be more proud of all the plates in their body than anything else. I do think that there is obviously a taste in people to see dangerous stuff, but not sure why. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who remembers "Endurance" - something York Uni liked to do in my college once a year...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Section of 'The Word' called "I'd do anything to get on TV" ?

Reply to
soup

On an assignment with the American Military I was required to drive in the USA and at that time required to take a driving test to get my American driving licence.

Part of the procedure was to test reaction time. A rather simple looking test, look out for a red light then apply the brakes.

You had so many milliseconds to respond.

Fail the reaction time test, no licence!

omega

Reply to
Omega

ROFL! Typical overreaction.

How fast your reactions are varies as to your mood, and a test performed after you've been pulled over says nothing about whether you were dozing at the wheel or pissing about with your mates at the time of your appalling driving.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Well, that's what he wants of course because he considers himself to be a superb driver no matter how much he's had to drink. He should be allowed to drive anyway.

Reply to
Norman Wells

I really hate it when they have safety folk. Things are more fun with an element of danger.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

just wait all day in Parliament Square and wave at the cameras when they are interviewing somebody

If you aren't doing anything obscene, they usually don't bother with a retake

tim

Reply to
tim...

I love dangerous stuff, preferably if some of the people get mortally wounded.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife