OT: Not the answer to the energy crisis

Seen in a shop window in Salzburg:

The caption on the card behind is purely fortuitous!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Andy Champ writes

I beg to differ ...

I have one of those. I'm saving the world, dontchaknow

It was actually turning today

Reply to
geoff

The Natural Philosopher

I obviously have no way to know what this is a picture of, but way back in the 90s I used to give people Christmas presents of solar powered plant turners to help save the planet, but I suspect that the manufacturing and transport costs out weighed the saving brought about by sunshine turning plants around very slowly!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I couldn't help looking at the picture marked 'French Switchgear' and wondering where you'd come across that!

Reply to
docholliday93

It's a desktop toy wind turbine, powered by a solar cell on the base. The cell is illuminated by a halogen lamp. On the car behind it says "laugh and the world laughs with you".

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

wondering where you'd come across that!

France. No, really!

It's in a hotel called Château de Villeray, Condeau. I don't think it's connected any more, they just leave it for interest. The place has a water wheel; it's possible they used to generate their own power.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

wondering where you'd come across that!

I'm more interested in the location of the 'Mysterious Building'. It looks like a cross between something from the early industrial revolution and the concrete Dombunkers used to house WW2 German railway guns in France.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's on the outskirts of Durham. And I still don't know what it is.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ