[OT] Non-childproof medicine bottle caps

Where can I buy a set of plastic screw caps for medicine bottles?
The pharmacist can often provide a standard screw cap but sometimes they don't have the right size.
I'm assuming the threads and sizes of medicine bottle caps are standard.
pamela wrote:

It should be possible with care to cut the outer free rotating cap from the actual bottle closure. The final result might not look as pretty but should function perfectly as a standard cap. My wife has a similar problem accessing her arthritis medications (own goal by the pharmacists!) and once the caps are slackened by me, she just leaves the caps on loosely.
On 11:55 12 May 2016, Bob Minchin wrote:

I'm not sure how your cutting modification works.
There's a way of putting a drawing pin in the top or through the side which then stops the clicky mechanism. It can work reasonably well though it's not brilliant and the drawing pin can get rusty if the bottle contains liquid.
However, rather than do all this I thinks it's easier to just buy a set of bottle screw caps.
pamela wrote:

Just done one to show you. Very easy with a serrated knife eg steak knife
Before
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/9fingersphotos/roller%20table%20001_zps4nzpp1sq.jpg During
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/9fingersphotos/roller%20table%20002_zps4oqnci2z.jpg Completed
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/9fingersphotos/roller%20table%20003_zps6z5wgfr5.jpg
Then you should be able to move the modified cap to the new bottle or if the threads are different, modify the new one until you have a complete set
On 16:24 12 May 2016, Bob Minchin wrote:

Thank you for the pictures. I've never seen the separate parts of a safety cap.
I'll give that a go.
pamela wrote:

Try some super glue in the gap between the inner and outer cap,(think I will go and try it now)
F Murtz wrote:

That might work but I found there was quite a gap between the inside of the outer cap, and the outside of the inner cap. Superglue needs the exclusion of air to make it set and really only works well on gaps under 0.1mm. The ratchet and grip mechanism works solely on the top surface of the cap and would need flooding with glue. Cutting off the outer cap is really easy.
Bob Minchin wrote:

Did not work, your idea is better till I think of something else, with turps bottles I cut off the protrusion that fouls the lid. If I had kids around I might do it differently but probably not,just keep away from kids,another annoyance is tablets in those pop out blisters, the main problem is popping them all in to a bottle once a month.very few tablets deteriorate to any great extent with a month in a small bottle.
On Friday, 13 May 2016 11:09:38 UTC+1, F Murtz wrote:

Loads of people do that, making it much easier for small kids to open. Really they're adultproof caps, and an added risk to kids.
NT
I hate blister packs, which seem to have a built in catapult mechanism that shoots the tablet off who knows where. I recently found a little gizmo from RNIB that you place the blister over the top of an pull a handle down which ejects the tablet into a little receptacle. Problem is the person who uses it says sometimes a circle of foil is also put into the little device.
I used to be able to get ordinary screw bottles cheap from the local vet, but now they put the medication into child proof bottles as well, makes sense, but I'm sure somebody somewhere must make thes old type ones. Brian
--
----- -
On Thursday, 12 May 2016 11:57:21 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:

The other option is drill a small hole in the top of the lid well away from the centre, eg 2mm, and put a short screw in. Job done.
NT
On 00:11 13 May 2016, wrote:

I have used drawing pins successfully as shown in the video below. However a hole in the cap of liquid medicine isn't great.
I would much rather have an ordinary cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc2xoTuTQT8

pamela wrote:

The drawing pin approach should work if the point is driven in about 2-3mm in from the outer circumference. The should jam the mechanism without breaking through the inner lid into liquid contents.
On 5/12/2016 11:01 AM, pamela wrote:

Never seen them, but plenty of containers on eBay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsmall+plastic+containers.TRS0&_nkw=small+plastic+containers&_sacat=0
Or herb/spice jars.
If for someone vulnerable, what about pill organisers?
On 12:02 12 May 2016, newshound wrote:

I don't always transfer the contents because I wonder if some liquid meds are may be very particular about what the bottle is made of.
I would think glass would be okay but I have one ?100 a bottle liquid med which is supplied in a squishy white plastic bottle, so perhaps glass has some drawback in this case.

More likely that they just don’t like the risk of glass getting broken when dropped.
There isn't much that doesn’t do fine in glass, just hexafluorosilicic acid etc which isn't used in medicines.
On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:01:25 +0100, pamela wrote:

That might be your problem.
On 12:21 12 May 2016, Adrian wrote:

The cap diameters don't seem to vary much and the threads are always coarse. Isn't this all specified by some Euro-standard or another?

As the bottles are never supposed to have their contents transferred to another container and generally now come from the manufacturer in pre-sealed containers or blister packs there is no reason why they should use common caps or threads. (The pre-packaging was introduced in 1998 when the EU prohibited the use of tablet counters for counting and dispensing bulk packaged tablets).
On 12/05/2016 13:01, Peter Parry wrote:

There is at least one UK manufactured medicine which is routinely taken from the manufacturer's supplied bottle of 28 and put into a different bottle with a child-resistant. Some pharmacies absolutely insist on doing this and won't take arthritis or other difficult as a reason not to - Boots has frequently been reported as one that does insist.
It strikes me as utter madness on so many levels. Not least cost of doing it in terms of staff time and the bottle, possibility of contamination, exposure to light, humidity and oxygen, ...
--
Rod