[OT] Non-childproof medicine bottle caps

I used to buy from these people:

I suspect their minimum order quantities may be more than you want to buy, but they may be able to put you onto somebody who sells their products in smaller quantities. Of course, you could always claim to be a manufacturer and ask if they could send you a set of samples for testing :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

The other option is drill a small hole in the top of the lid well away from the centre, eg 2mm, and put a short screw in. Job done.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The almost universal practice of pharmacies being supplied with medicines in bulk containers and counting/measuring them out into smaller containers to meet individual prescriptions.

The counting was done using simple "counting triangles" (Fretwell's Triangle) for smaller pharmacies and powered counting machines in larger ones. This method of dispensing is still common in the USA amongst others.

The problems of supplying loose tablets in generic containers are well documented and include dispensing errors, cross contamination by residue, waste and poor patient compliance.

The 1998 regulation which effectively stopped loose prescribing had the primary aim of requiring all medicines to be supplied with a patient information leaflet supplied by the manufacturer and fitting within the drug packaging. (The Medicines for Human Use (Marketing Authorisations Etc) Regulations 1994. SI 1994/3144) implementing EC Directive 92/27. The only way this could be done reliably and practically was for the item to be supplied from the manufacturer complete with patient information leaflet.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Try some super glue in the gap between the inner and outer cap,(think I will go and try it now)

Reply to
F Murtz

That might work but I found there was quite a gap between the inside of the outer cap, and the outside of the inner cap. Superglue needs the exclusion of air to make it set and really only works well on gaps under

0.1mm. The ratchet and grip mechanism works solely on the top surface of the cap and would need flooding with glue. Cutting off the outer cap is really easy.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Did not work, your idea is better till I think of something else, with turps bottles I cut off the protrusion that fouls the lid. If I had kids around I might do it differently but probably not,just keep away from kids,another annoyance is tablets in those pop out blisters, the main problem is popping them all in to a bottle once a month.very few tablets deteriorate to any great extent with a month in a small bottle.

Reply to
F Murtz

Loads of people do that, making it much easier for small kids to open. Really they're adultproof caps, and an added risk to kids.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have used drawing pins successfully as shown in the video below. However a hole in the cap of liquid medicine isn't great.

I would much rather have an ordinary cap.

pamela

Now that looks like a company which could provide the right sort of caps. Thank you.

Reply to
pamela

esxcept that I've seen chemist count out pills using a little triangular measure.

Really ? I've heard most people stop taking the pills before the course ends that's parcially why we have the superbugs and other resistant problems.

What on prescription items?

yes of course that might have happened bu the majority of such pils are supervised by a carer or other professional.

Law, regulations, whatever you want to call them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The drawing pin approach should work if the point is driven in about

2-3mm in from the outer circumference. The should jam the mechanism without breaking through the inner lid into liquid contents.
Reply to
Bob Minchin

As I mentioned on another leg of this thread, one medicine is very often decanted from one bottle to another.

The pharmacies rarely ensure that the PIL (which does indeed get included with the manufacturer's bottle) is passed on the the patient. What is even worse in some ways, the batch number and expiry date do not get passed on. (At least we can get most PILs from EMC nowadays. Once batch/expiry have parted company from the medicine, they can never again meet up.)

Reply to
polygonum

I don't want to make deal out of this, I am genuinely interested in what is going on here

but today, I had my script dispensed in a plain bottle with a sticky label stuck to the side.

But it wasn't dispensed using a pill counter - the course of treatment is 12 tabs, the chemist presumably counted them manually.

but it still suffers for the above problems

tim

Reply to
tim...