OT Next door neighbours car did not start this morning

Now what could I have done to cause this problem?

Think like my brain sometimes does - and Homer Simpson is my hero.

Reply to
ARW

I was asked by a neighbour to give her a jump start and she was offended when I refused. I have a Suzuki Vitara and the handbook says don't give jump starts to other cars. Is this because of possible damage to electronic components?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message <tt0p55$sbaf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

A potato stuffed up the exhaust is the agricultural answer to vehicles parked inconsiderately.

After experiencing the myriad ways my vehicle system checks before allowing the starter motor to engage, I guess something electrical:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Naah. Peed in the tank.

Homer: "Everyone pees in the shower!" Marge: "Most people only do it when they are in the shower..."

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Doughnut up the chuff pipe?

Reply to
R D S

Shoved a potato up his exhaust pipe

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did you switch the order of the HT leads on his spark plugs?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

In the good old times, a bit of sugar in the tank.

ARW:

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

When I had a Honda CB175 someone (probably at work) tried to sabotage it by putting paper in the spark plug connections; I only found out when I next checked the plugs and found some charred paper there, which shows how good it was.

Reply to
Max Demian

Are you suggesting he blames you? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can now buy some very compact batteries that can be used for this purpose. No idea how they work though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

He should because Adam deliberately sabotaged it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It is probably about 50 years since I drove a car without a locking filler cap or, latterly, a locking flap over it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Locking flaps seem pretty flimsy to me, they might suffer a bit of damage being pried open, but do you inspect yours before every journey?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I always walk around the car, checking tyre inflation visually, looking for any damage that might have happened when parked, cleaning the rear view camera lens and checking there is no debris caught in any window wiper, before I get into the car.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

But you're not a woman.

Reply to
Simon Ferrol

Sugar in the tank does no significant damage in this video:

to an admittedly simple engine -- though this might be a good stand-in for the engines that were said to have been sabotaged by sugar in the tank in WWII.

Not saying that a fuel-injected modern car would like sugar, just saying it's not a bad/good as one might think.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Not last time I looked.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

They don't open the cap and syphon it off these days anyway. They drill a hole in the (usually plastic) tank and catch it as it pours out.

Reply to
SteveW

I mostly do when leaving first thing in the day but don't otherwise.

I never do that, essentially because is very unlikely to be damaged where its parked at home other than massive damage from a tree or branch falling on it which would be hard to miss.

Never do that when coming back to the parked car when its parked other than at home.

Don't have one.

That happens so rarely that its no big deal when I notice it once in the car.

I never check if the petrol filler flap has been levered open and I would normally notice if it had without explicitly checking unless I am going out in the dark.

Reply to
Rod Speed