Domestic microwave maintenance

Other than cleaning the cooking cavity and the exterior, are there any maintenance requirements for a domestic microwave?

I have noticed that the inside gets very wet recently, it didn't used to.

Any pointers gratefully received!

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

Depends on your definition of cleaning but on some models at least important to vac dust from ventilation where fans can built up some big bunnies

Reply to
Robin

Have you accidentally blocked the vents with stuff stacked on top?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Leave the door open until it dries out. What else would you do?

Reply to
Max Demian

Just use one of these and stop it getting wet in the first place?

RJH

Just watch that the door seal is still fine.

Mine doesnt and its now 50 years old and is used almost daily with no evidence of any significant drop in microwave power.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mine never gets wet. And his didnt until recently.

Work out why it is getting wet now and fix that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is stuff on top, but there are no vents there.

Reply to
David Paste

I do!

Reply to
David Paste

Cheers.

Is there anything other than seals that you might expect to wear out in a microwave? I suppose the platter motor might crap out, but what about the magnetron? Do they wear out?

Reply to
David Paste

David Paste snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

The rotation has failed on mine but I havent got around to actually having a look at what has failed because it is still fine for everything I microwave,. It did fail gradually so its unlikely to be the motor, more likely a belt or maybe what drives the belt cog wise etc.

They do end up producing less microwave power than they did when new but like I said, even after 50 years of daily use, no evidence of that happening with mine. I have always had a database of cooking times for some time critical stuff like rice and softening blocks of butter from the fridge and the original times still work fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is no door seal on any modern microwave. Rod is jammed as far up his own rear as always. Let it dry after use, be sure to clean the mica plate where the waves enter, and if rust develops treat it to poevent it progressing to failure. All parts wear out.

Reply to
Animal

Wrong, as always.

How odd that he didn't need to do that previously.

But some last MUCH longer than the crucial bits, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Right, actually. The overlap between the door and the front face of the oven is 1/4 wavelength long. This forms a transmission line transformer that converts an open circuit into a short circuit at the operating frequency, thereby blocking most of the leakage from the edges of the door. It only leaks if it gets very dirty.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Well that is down to what you are cooking inside it. Its normally the heat that comes from the water in a food that does the cooking after all.

I'd say that maintenance wise it depends on your electronic expertise. If we are talking faults, then there are some frighteningly high voltages inside to make the Magnetron actually work. These voltages can leave capacitors charged up inside, so normally

its very dangerous to open one. In the old mechanical timer days, these did go wrong, and could be changed, but in a modern one with electronic timers etc, Its not really viable to try to fix it. The high voltage end can trash rectifiers or capacitors but myself I'd not chance it as it could well be a Magnetron flash over that did the act, in which case it would be pretty uneconomic to fix it. Things like door switches and turntable motors can be usually fixed though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can do this if you are careful. Mine has a fan blowing out the side, and as long as I leave a fair number on the top unblocked then it can still pull in air.

After all those which are fitted only seem to have about half an inch clearance anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks!

Reply to
David Paste

Nope.

That's what I meant by the door seal. Yes, not a very good way to say it.

And if the door distorts or the hinges aren't solidly attached.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

But doesn't explain why it gets wet inside now when it didnt used to do that.

That's overstated.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fluff on the fan/vents.